The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm doing a rear light conversion on the V8.
I got the running light - stop light - signal light - connected
but I can't find the connection for the reverse. I put the transmission to reverse with the engine running and check the rear light main connector one by one - using my test light ---- there's no juice(12v) on any of the remaining connector.

Is there a reverse switch on the V8?
Where is it located? Top of the tranny?

Anyone?

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
try this.. plug back in the OEM lights, put in reverse, key on but engine off should do it.

Go to back of car, reverse lights on right? Trace the wire to the bulb

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I plugged the original back...still no good.
Just wondering if the V8 has a reverse switch in the tranny or if there is,
could be bad?

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
The reverse light switch is on the right side of the transaxle, to the rear of the driveshaft, and has two wires with spade connectors.

·
Registered
667 Posts
If anyone has a pic of the switch location I would appreciate it too. Mine has been a little flaky lately and I'd like to at least clean the contacts. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
The other day I found that both wires were off the switch. Not sure if they fell off, or if I knocked them off doing something else. Worth checking.

ESPREE, it's a screw-in unit with a ball on the end that engages a detent in one of the internal shift rails. You can't get to the contacts to clean them. If you take the switch out you might lose fluid, I can't recall how far up the side of the case it's mounted.

·
Registered
667 Posts
The other day I found that both wires were off the switch. Not sure if they fell off, or if I knocked them off doing something else. Worth checking.

ESPREE, it's a screw-in unit with a ball on the end that engages a detent in one of the internal shift rails. You can't get to the contacts to clean them. If you take the switch out you might lose fluid, I can't recall how far up the side of the case it's mounted.
Ok thanks. Did your wires break off then? Or is there some kind of connection that could be loose on the outside? My reverse lights weren't coming on at all, then after some rooting around they came back.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts

Very common for the wires to fall off or get knocked off. It is also very common for the switch to go bad. Some owners (Delorean owners) have discovered sometimes you can get the switch to work if you use another or thicker washer.

·
Registered
576 Posts
The switch is on the passenger side of the tranny near the speedo takeoff.

They often go bad and are easy to damage as they are quite exposed.

The part is a Delorean crossover part.

Randy

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The switch is on the passenger side of the tranny near the speedo takeoff.

They often go bad and are easy to damage as they are quite exposed.

The part is a Delorean crossover part.

Randy
it would be nice if you can put the part # cross reference

·
Registered
667 Posts
Figured I would post a pic of the reverse light switch. There are two green wires that connect to the outside portion (slide on connectors), and mine were in need of a cleaning. The lower one is off in the photo so that you can see the blade connection.

It is just above the shift linkage, with a large black rubber boot normally covering the wires. The easiest way to access it is to slide under the car just behind the right rear tire. Then it's easily accessible.

Here it is:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts