The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Out of the blue, my car no longer recognizes when it is in reverse gear (I have a manual '17 Evora 400). When i engage reverse with the transmission, the reverse lights don't turn on, nor does the backup camera turn on.

Anyone ever experienced this problem and/or have a suggestion on where to look to diagnose/fix the issue?

·
Premium Member
1,515 Posts
Check R12 (5A) fuse. According to the 400 wiring diagram.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lotus certainly didn't make the rear fuse panel easy to access. Had to use an endoscope just to see what I was touching as the panel is wedged against the inner corner and you can only see about the right 1/3rd of the panel without X-Ray vision.

Checked the R12 5A fuse and it was fine (thanks @agentdr8 for the suggestion, would not have known to check there). Replaced it anyways just in case, and no change. Still not getting reverse lights or camera. Grrrrrr.

Is there a sensor somewhere else that triggers the reverse lights and camera?

·
Happy To Be Here
2013 Lotus Evora IPS - Carbon Gray
859 Posts
is there some sort of switch that the shifter activates when you place it in reverse? I’m sure there must be, but I don’t know if it’d be located near the shifter or near the transmission. Either way, the stereo isn’t getting a voltage from the lead that tells it the car is in reverse, likewise the rear lights aren’t getting the message either. If you can’t tell, I'm not good with electronics so much (which is why I’ve been procrastinating with my stereo head unit upgrade...) but is there any other relay that might have gone bad or gotten loose?

If all else fails, this is a 2017, so you still have warranty, right? I’m betting your dealer is an inconvenient distance away...

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The issue with my local dealer isn't closeness, it's that they are utterly incompetent. I've had the same airbag light issue 3 times with them, and it's still not solved.

Not sure about the sensor/relay location either, hopefully a fellow LTer can opine.

·
Premium Member
1,515 Posts
Yep, the reverse switch is in the side of the transmission, above the fill plug. It has to either be the switch itself, or the wiring, as there's only those 2 things controlling everything that comes on when in reverse. If R12 is fine, you can try unplugging the switch and jumping both pins together, which should light up the reverse light and turn on the backup cam. If that isn't working, then there's likely a wiring fault somewhere.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts