The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can shift into reverse most of the time but about every 10 times I cannot get it into reverse. Is this a problem with me alone or is there something I can have done to the Elise to make it easier to shift to reverse?

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
are you pressing the clutch all the way down??

sometimes you might *think* your pressing the clutch all the way down but your not.

Do you mean its harder to shift into reverse or you simply cannot shift into reverse?

·
Super Moderator
5,461 Posts
Sometimes I have to let up on the clutch and press it back down. Every manual I've driven has been like that. No biggie.
Likewise :)
That happens because reverse gear does not have a synchro.
That's it!

There are two methods to resolve this - firstly let the clutch out while in neutral then try again, or alternatively select 1st then try again. :)

PS: Welcome to LT :wave:

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
I usually find it lines things up nicely to move the lever into the 2ng gear position THEN into reverse.

xtn

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,689 Posts
You shouldn't shift into reverse from 6th gear.......( just a hint ).....:D

·
Registered
89 Posts
I took it to the dealer who found a washer was missing. A real fix for a real problem.
Glad to hear that you got your issue resolved. However, you still may find the issue resurface from time to time. As "Kevinthefro" said, the reverse gear is not synchronized. It is also a real fix to, use the clutch and or one of the other forward gears, to move the spindle for reverse and allow the gears to mesh. This is not uncommon in cars with manual transmissions.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I have the exact same thing happening, has nothing to do with syncro's, or clutch, but is happening with the lever/linkage. It will not enter the reverse gate, and no amount of selecting 1st or 2nd, and rolling the car helps. After many attempts, the linkage allows it to be found. The LEETSA (sp?) is on the way, and I'm hoping that cures it.

·
Registered
7,002 Posts

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
I have the exact same thing happening, has nothing to do with syncro's, or clutch, but is happening with the lever/linkage. It will not enter the reverse gate, and no amount of selecting 1st or 2nd, and rolling the car helps. After many attempts, the linkage allows it to be found. The LEETSA (sp?) is on the way, and I'm hoping that cures it.
Could the pull-up-knob for reverse be disconnected from the bottom of the shifter?

·
Registered
379 Posts
It feels like that could be the cause, or it may not be completely moving out of the baulk position. When the LEETSA kit comes I'll have the console off, and will see what might be happening. It's a PITA 'tho, and didn't impress my wife too much after bugging her to come for a ride today: took about ten try's to find the gear.

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
I've never tried, but read about this: can you feel where it is "supposed" to be connected towards the bottom of the shifter? maybe pull up on that and give it a shot

·
Registered
379 Posts
The reverse "pull-up'' functions fine, feel wise, but lever will not move to the left, and has no feel of a gate what so ever, so I keep trying, gently or with reasonable pressure in the neutral position. After many attempts, some profane incouragment, I'm addmitted, and over she slides, sort of like the hot-knife-in-butter feel that I hope the leetsa will provide at all times. The easiest way to see what's going on will be the remove the cover, and when she acts up, I'll be looking at the problem, hopefully!!

·
Registered
379 Posts
An update to the problem; I took off the console so I could watch what was happening. Removed the shift knob, and was able to pull the console, leather boot, and aluminum reverse pull right off shifter. Wondering how the "pull" connected to the plastic sheath that actually moves the reverse lock-out, and unable to make sense of it, I called Troy. Of course it turns out the alum. pull should be glued, or somehow fastened to the sheath, so when you pull up, reverse is available. In my case, all I was pulling up was the leather boot. Might be the case for other's with this problem, too. I'll epoxy things back together, should be fixed. Tom

1 - 19 of 19 Posts