The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 2006 Exige, unfortunately after his OEM battery died, the original owner replaced it with a heavy valuecraft battery that was not very secure with the stock hold-down and somewhat loose. Fearing this battery might get loose during driving and cause some major damage I swapped out for a Braille B106 battery (6lbs). Unfortunately the braille would not last more than a night, it was a nightmare having to recharge the battery everytime I wanted to go for a drive and fearing that it might not turn on while I was out. Facing problems of a finding a secure tiedown and dependable battery, I turned to Chimera. The guys at Chimera were great about answering all my questions and keeping me up to date on the progress of building/shipping the battery.

Once recieved, I opened the box to find one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen. Battery was very well constructed, it felt solid but light. End plates are beautifully machined and the finish on the CF body was flawless.

Unfortunately Thomas forgot to include the two bolts needed to connect the cables directly to the posts so I had to use some brass terminals I had laying around (emailed Thomas and Ali late that night, they responded within the same hour:D). This will changed when I get the bolts in.

pics installed:

Once I had it in, the battery was very secure. I pressed the start button and it fired up almost immediately (with the braille it turns over 2-3 times). The car sounded batter and for some reason the lights seemed brighter, I can attrtibute this to the fact that the braille was on its last leg. Best part is it took away all my nervous feelings about having my battery come loose and destroy my clam, or any fears that it may not start. 100% worth every penny, Thanks Ali and Thomas!!

BTW some pics of the car:

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
We have been running a Chimera battery in our shop Caterham R400 and could not be happier with it. Been perfect and looks amazing. And since the car is at so many car meets and shows... the battery needs to look good too.

Attachments

·
Registered
276 Posts
Thomas/Ali, how come my Chimera RBS from the group buy is not CF shell..??!!!
It's just a black (plastic looking) shell..

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Thanks for the phenomenal review, Kim! Glad it exceeded your expectations :)

Thomas/Ali, how come my Chimera RBS from the group buy is not CF shell..??!!!
It's just a black (plastic looking) shell..
The RBS IS carbon fiber. It is normally a unidirectional carbon fiber case— so it is a bit stronger and lighter. That's why it looks the way it does.

Kim wanted the weave so there was an additional fee to have us modify the twill case for the RBS. We had never offered it until requested!

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
We have been running a Chimera battery in our shop Caterham R400 and could not be happier with it. Been perfect and looks amazing. And since the car is at so many car meets and shows... the battery needs to look good too.
:clap:

The Caterham definitely looks good :cool:

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the phenomenal review, Kim! Glad it exceeded your expectations :)
Thank you guys for taking good care of me and Big thanks to Thomas on creating such an incredible battery.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update: Car can sit a week and start up. no problems.

·
Registered
252 Posts
First, the battery seems rad! How does a LiPo car battery deal with a charging system that was meant to charge a lead acid battery? The charging requirements are very different between the two battery types. Does the Chimera have an 'on board' charging system?

The car sounded batter and for some reason the lights seemed brighter, I can attrtibute this to the fact that the braille was on its last leg.
For Kim - If you aren't already aware, if your headlights are brighter and the car runs/sounds better with a new battery, you might be masking a problem with your alternator. A car's battery only is only needed to turn the motor to get the thing started and to power accessories while the ignition is turned off. Once the car is running, the alternator runs the show and powers the lights, the ignition, and all accessories. A new battery should have no effect on the brightness of the headlights or the way the car runs.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
:pyeah, it was probably all in my head. Like I said, having a car with dependability issues really started to mess with me.

·
Premium Member
5,193 Posts
Congradulations on getting your problems resolved. I was worried about my battery coming loose and damaging the rear clam also. I just improved the mounting clamp. But thank you for the info. I now know what I will be doing when I need a new battery. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
215 Posts
How does this battery work in winter storage? I assume that trickle charging is necessary and I seem to remember something about this requiring a special charger?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts