The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Executive Summary: The tune will improve the power throughout the RPM range, cure a rough start up idle, and cure idle problems in the rain. It feels like we traded for a new Exige.

Vehicle: 2007 Exige S ~60,000 miles

We recently had Phil @ BOE Fabrication install a new pulley (3.0) and KoldFire 270 tune and the results have been fantastic. This tune added significant amounts of horsepower and torque throughout the range and very much improved the low rpm street performance. We couldn't ask for anything more from such a simple upgrade.

Torque & Horsepower:

The KoldFire 270 added significant power thoughout the entire RPM range, which is easily seen in the dyno chart below:

Keep in mind that our car has over 60,000 miles on it, with no repairs other than fluid changes, so it is reasonable to think that it is down in power compared to a lower mileage Exige S. We were putting down 212 HP & 158lb/ft of torque at the wheels before the flash. The Koldfire 270 added roughly 50 HP & 20 lb/ft at the wheels! That is a ~20% increase in power from a simple tune.

More importantly, however, the Koldfire 270 smoothed out the dips in our powerband. If you look closely at the graph, the lb/ft at 7000 RPM went from 110 before the tune to 170 lb/ft after the tune - an improvement of 60 lb/ft or ~40% more torque at 7000 RPM. The HP increases at 7000 RPM were similarly impressive.

Idle:
Our Exige idled poorly at times, especially when it was wet out. When cold, it would threaten to stall at traffic lights and would stumble at low RPMs when cold. The Koldfire tune completely solved this problem.

The rough idle is gone as is the cold low RPM stumbling. The car also exhibits none of the earlier problems in wet weather. The improvements have very much improved the everyday drivability and enjoyability of our Exige.

Responsiveness:
The Koldfire 270 improved the throttle response noticeably. The power seems to come on much quicker and at much lower RPMs than before. This makes the car much more enjoyable on the street and when you're getting on the throttle. The improvement in throttle response may be due to the pulley as well as the tune.

Conclusion:
The Koldfire 270 offers an amazing performance improvement to the Exige S. I highly recommend it regardless of what your car's primary use it. This would be a good buy at 3 times the price - it is really a no brainer at this price.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Just to get this straight, this is just the stock KF270 with the 3.0 pulley? I have the pulley and have never installed it and was thinking of choosing the same path wrt software. The AFR is still in compliance of safe limits?

·
Registered
553 Posts
What kind of dyno is this? My 3.0" is about to go on and Phil just sent me a custom tune.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
wow its about the same differnence in power as it is from an elise to an 07 exige!

I thought fuel pump is required for smaller pully?

·
Registered
553 Posts
it should be... at least that's what Phil suggested. I have a walboro 255 waiting to be installed before I get my tune up.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just to get this straight, this is just the stock KF270 with the 3.0 pulley? I have the pulley and have never installed it and was thinking of choosing the same path wrt software. The AFR is still in compliance of safe limits?
Yes, yes, and yes.

·
Registered
66 Posts
You are reading the dyno incorrectly. Prior to the tune you have 140 tq at 7,000 rpm.

Also, it is important to note that the pulley has a huge role in these power gains as the tune alone can not produce a higher boost pressure. Looks to be great gains though.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You are reading the dyno incorrectly. Prior to the tune you have 140 tq at 7,000 rpm.

Also, it is important to note that the pulley has a huge role in these power gains as the tune alone can not produce a higher boost pressure. Looks to be great gains though.

Good catch, that is what I get for posting late at night!

·
Premium Member
4,550 Posts
Eddie: tune, smaller pulley, larger fuel pump.

Also note that if you did this mod to your 2-Eleven, you'd be in the Open class for the Lotus Cup USA.
I was actually thinking for an Exige ;)

·
Registered
1,182 Posts

Agreed. A lot (most) of the power gain was from the smaller blower pulley increasing air flow. The tune is there to keep the fuel/ignition in check with the increase in flow/boost.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Agreed. A lot (most) of the power gain was from the smaller blower pulley increasing air flow. The tune is there to keep the fuel/ignition in check with the increase in flow/boost.
I think the pulley represents the jump from 253 to 261.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I'm dying for some more power, I current have a Club Racer Exige and the 218hp is getting less scary day by day. I've been researching LT like mad and it seems that while exhaust mods are the popular first in line choice of mods they don't do much power wise. I'm happy with the stage 2 exhaust for now.

OP your gains are impressive so just to sum up these gains were accomplished with a 3.0 pulley + belt and a KF tune. I see that a fuel pump upgrade is recommended but can the stock injectors and intercooler handle the task? My car won't really be tracked for another year or so.

·
Vendor
6,306 Posts
Check the other thread as well, I posted up what's needed there...

for a track car, you need more air to the IC and a fuel pump... for a street car, stock pump and IC are OK.

3.0" pulley is as small as you should go with the M62 for most standard cooling setups...

Stock injectors are fine...

Aftermarket muffler for grins, IMO, is a must :D

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
Just to be clear, will the 3.0 pully work with the normal Koldfire 270 tune? with no other tweaks to the tune? I bought some 440 injectors because I thought they were needed when doing a smaller pully on my S240. I was also going to do a fuel pump if needed. I already have the KF270 and RLS cooler+cup air box.

·
Vendor
6,306 Posts
Well you already had 440 injectors (green) so you can return the new ones you purchased;)

A fuel pump is certainly a good idea. While you're in there, replace the bottom half of the sender unit which is the fuel filter (not the pump sock, that's different).

The cup box isn't really helping. Make sure that it's sealing well or it can cause more problems than it solves.

So with that, you're good to go.

You can buy the pulley from RLS.

Bottom line: best if stock injectors, stock air box (with a performance filter), bigger fuel pump, better IC (not the forged IC), a 3" pulley, and the tune. Easy:up:

Phil

·
Registered
180 Posts
and, the toughest question of all-- perhaps:
will the Koldfire 270 tune w/pulley pass California emissions testing?
I would guess it will pass the 'sniffer' test fine, but the OBDII scanner may have a problem when it encounters a non-stock ECU?
ahh, the joys of living in California!
thanks... sounds like a great product!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 66 Posts