The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Wow... beautiful photos of the car. And fantastic write-up. Now I want my car even more!!!! Thank you for sharing!

Bob

·
Registered
364 Posts
Thanks for the good read. People that are questioning the addition of the 3m covering should look through the picture link at the end.

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
Great write-up! It makes me yearn for the Elise even more...

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Great write up, thank you. Great neiborhood too, how I'd love to take an Elise to Port Campbell and Stop at McDuff's bakery in Laver's Hill for breaky.
On a different note, there is mention that the driving lights come on with the hi beam, I wonder if that'll be the case for us. Frankly, if I get driving lights I see myself using them for regular driving since there is little opportunity for hi beam usage in general.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Great write up and pictures. Thanks! The pictures of the stone chip damage make it look like you just ran the World Rally in Turkey! It looks like the stone damage went right through the film protection. Is that right? How is that possible? Or are those marks in the film rather than the paint underneath? Clearly in the unprotecte areas the damage is in the paint. It makes me wonder if the protective film is worth anything. What do you think? :confused:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yep the stones damaged the film, although it looks far worse on a black car.

I've had it repainted / filled (special "SMC"? compound to fill the little pits in the fibreglass). I had the film "declas" replaced with optional black ones (from the 111S or Exige I think) which are textured.

I decided not to get the film protection beucase the cost of the respray was Aust$900 which is basically what I've been quoted for 3M film. Also, the stone damage surrounded the unprotected parts around the film, + the film had to be replaced too, so its of dubious value.

Your mileage may vary with a different colour car.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh sorry, I took it down coz I thought everybody had time to read it. I'll put it back soon. Its a bit waffly too, I might try and shorten it.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Joe,

Great article. Thanks for the effort!

I tried to click on the links to the photo gallery and the stone chips artilce but they were broken too. Can you put them back out there?

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Thank you for the really terrific pictures and write-up. I do believe I like the Lotus badge in the back better than the mylar letters on the USA cars.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for your kind words.

The links to the stone chips seem to be working ok. Here's a direct link to one of the pics

http://www.pbase.com/patfelstead/image/30624916

For best clarity, make sure you click on "original size" undernearth the photo.

I've had the car repainted now, with black decals instead of clear, and it came up really well.

Pat

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Wow, that's some serious sand blasting. Was that from everyday driving? How long after you had the car did you have to have it repainted?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Pat,

Thanks for sharing your article and brilliant photos with all of us.
Thanks for alerting us to the stone/pebble damage, too.
What's the "Joe" for?
I have a 10D also and love it!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts