The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it has been about 6 months now and 2000 miles since I put in the quick oil drain plug which can be had at quickoildrainplug.com. I will admit at first I was skeptical since using a valve on the oil could definately lead to a leak. I paid 20 dollars for it and the shipping was quick. Did my routine oil change, drain, change filter, then installed the oil drain valve. Used a large hex head to tighten it on. Now the drain plug did not totally line up to be facing directly down but it is close. So far I have not had any leaks and it seems to be holding up quite well. I would definately recommend it to those who fear of stripping the oil pan or dropping the plug in the oil. Using it to drain is very easy, just pop the valve over and voila. Overall it gets an A.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Well it has been about 6 months now and 2000 miles since I put in the quick oil drain plug which can be had at quickoildrainplug.com. I will admit at first I was skeptical since using a valve on the oil could definately lead to a leak. I paid 20 dollars for it and the shipping was quick. Did my routine oil change, drain, change filter, then installed the oil drain valve. Used a large hex head to tighten it on. Now the drain plug did not totally line up to be facing directly down but it is close. So far I have not had any leaks and it seems to be holding up quite well. I would definately recommend it to those who fear of stripping the oil pan or dropping the plug in the oil. Using it to drain is very easy, just pop the valve over and voila. Overall it gets an A.
Did you mean www.quickoildrainvalve.com? Seems neat if you change your oil a lot. Personally I will stick with the torque wrench and have no fear of stripping, until I strip out a pan of course, but then there are upgrades to my stock pan. ;)

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
Yeah, I'm more used to using safety wire on stuff like this so I think I'm going to be sticking to the tried & true drain plug bolt.
:)

·
Registered
545 Posts
What is the torque spec on the stock drain plug anyway?

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Used one on one of our old TDI VWs. Worked great, never leaked. That was back when we put 52k miles in 13 months though. :) Worth the price just based on how often I had to change the damn oil.

Nipple came in handy, came out in a pretty steady stream that way, or could use a hose and fill up old oil bottles when the drainpan was full.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
You can use additional/different sealing washers on the valve to position it so that the part doesn't stick down if you need additional clearance.

·
Registered
7,088 Posts
And if one accidentally overfills, it's a cinch to remove some oil without trying to put the plug back in as the oil drains... Of course I have never done this, just heard about it.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
worth it for DIY'ers... faster and cleaner.:up:

·
Registered
148 Posts
Had one on a 1995 Ford Explorer. I think my record for an oil change was 10 minutes. The hardest part was changing the filter. Make sure the old gasket comes off with the filter. As someone said earlier, "not that this ever happened to me".

1 - 20 of 27 Posts