The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed many people rev their engines (slight rev) before shutting off. Is that better for the engine? or just playing with the engine?

:confused:

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
I see people doing this, too, particularly when I'm at a gas station. I think they are just trying to be cool. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
836 Posts
Does not fill a purpose today,,,,way back with carburators and two stroke enginees maybe,,,but not now.

·
Registered
836 Posts
How long will the pressure stay "in" there? I assume that is time limited?

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Thats funny, I read a similar question on youtube that said, "Why do lotus drivers rev their engine after they start it".
Cause it sounds cool.;)

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Thats funny, I read a similar question on youtube that said, "Why do lotus drivers rev their engine after they start it".
If I didn't know better, I'd say the warranty ECU re-flash does a little pump when I start the car when it's cold.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I know my brother does this in his RX-8 because the rotary engines tend to flood easily. This is one way to prevent it. I don't know if it benefits a normal engine in any way.

-Whit

·
Registered
803 Posts
I used to do it out of habit, but thought better...

I used to do it, rev and at the top of the rev, shut it down. I started thinking about it and have since reconsidered.

The rev causes the engine to get more fuel as you have asked for more power. The mixture goes rich, according to the map of fuel and throttle position.

Unfortunately that probably allows fuel to collect on the cylinder walls and elsewhere, which then stays there because you have turned off combustion when you turned off the key.

I think I probably want to leave the cylinder walls coated with oil and not gas. The next time I start up is hard on the engine, as all start ups are, due to the lack of lubrication. Having the cylinder walls wiped clean with fuel rich mixture leaves them particularly vulnerable.

Just my thoughts and I have nothing to back them up. Now I just let my motor idle for a minute and then quietly shut it off.

Michael

1 - 11 of 11 Posts