The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Modern Day Hippie
3,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been a while since I've started an off topic thread. I think I need my fix. :cool:

Curious what you guys do with your credit card rewards? I used to get gift certificates so I could buy myself shoes.:nanner2: This last time I used points to fly a friend out. I've realized this is probably the best reward of all. To spend time with a human being. Shoes will come and go, but human interaction compares to nothing else. :D Maybe I'm growing up. ;)

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
gift cards at Christmas. and electronica, but I save them all year for Christmas.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Rewards?

I use a credit card that is free or all fees, and charges a low interest rate (although I never carry-over a balance anyway)... :shrug:

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I have an airline rewards card so I have no choice, I have to redeem the miles for flights. Otherwise my wife would be filling up more closets with more shoes :D

I'm thinking of canceling it though since it is getting more and more useless. The airline seems to have very few reward seats available these days and with all the black-out dates I can never get to go anywhere. A no fee - no reward card would probably work out better.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I only have one rewards card and I can only redeem it for restaurant or bar gift cards. Usually I use it for dining.

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
gift cards at Christmas. and electronica, but I save them all year for Christmas.
+1. I use Amex and accrue a literal crapload of points. Gift cards are by far the best value.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Hotels...

Maintain between .5 - 1 M hilton points. About once every other month my lady friend and I pick a hotel and just do a weekend get away. We live in WW and DT LA, but we will hit up Palm Springs, Santa Barbra, Beverly, NewPort, SD...where ever just to escape a weekend. Millions of places around LA within easy driving distance.

Airlines are just becoming a joke. About 40k miles to get a reward ticket? Come on! An airline ticket runs about 350 now. The hotel points come 3x faster and are worth a LOT more when you use them. We get letters offering bonuses for transferring miles...

.01 cents per mile!! Plus a 30buck fee...so to transfer 30K miles (cheapest free ticket), it will COST you $330!!! Do airlines think we are that dumb?! Ahhh hate flying. It has gone from classy to a gloried greyhound in the sky.

Hotels to me have continued with excellent products and service. Nice little tips here and there and you will even be in their nicer suites. Airlines...just bring gum to offer to the smelly breath person next to you...they will think your nice!

Using points for stuff like electronics is the biggest rip off there is today...rental car points are a close second to worst tied with airlines points.

Gift cards arnt that bad of a deal. Magazine subscriptions are typically GREAT deals.

·
Modern Day Hippie
3,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Who are you and what did you do with AgentTripleX??? :D
Haha... I think I'm just smitten. :eek: This morning I was walking the dogs and thinking about how many more free flights I have between all my cards.

Don't worry I still have quite an impressive shoe collection. Last shopping trip, came home with 7 new pairs. They were supposed to be for work, but...I'm pretty easily distracted.:drool:

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
credit cards? oh you mean debt magnets...i only have one for emergency reasons, not a high limit, but its a no hassle one, hehe

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
Haha... I think I'm just smitten. :eek: This morning I was walking the dogs and thinking about how many more free flights I have between all my cards.

Don't worry I still have quite an impressive shoe collection. Last shopping trip, came home with 7 new pairs. They were supposed to be for work, but...I'm pretty easily distracted.:drool:
I have a black pair, a brown pair, and a white pair.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Gift cards which I either use or sell on ebay and Starwood hotel points.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
AMEX offers the best points in my experience, too, so I used my AMEX all the time and pay it off monthly. :)

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Rewards?

I use a credit card that is free or all fees, and charges a low interest rate (although I never carry-over a balance anyway)... :shrug:
Yep, I have a Citi Diamond Preferred Rewards card that has no annual fee and a fairly low interest rate (at least as far as credit cards go - 9 something %). I don't carry a balance though, so whether it was higher or lower wouldn't matter to me. I use the points to get fun things for the kids (mostly electronics). Just yesterday we had two items come in, a nice iPod docking station and a portable DVD player.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts