The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was curious if anyone had ever had the underside of there front clam rhino lined... i know the front clam is not built like the rear. I do not really care about added weight, i just dd the car

·
Registered
6,948 Posts
i was curious if anyone had ever had the underside of there front clam rhino lined... i know the front clam is not built like the rear. I do not really care about added weight, i just dd the car
No, but I did use sprayed truck bed liner on the interior of my hardtop.
Michael

·
Premium Member
5,193 Posts
I do know some buddies with Manx style dune buggies who added it to the fiberglass along the lower portion of the fiberglass body. It seems to hold up fairly well.

·
Super Moderator
6,819 Posts
When the Elise first hit the US in '05 a guy had the entire rocker and up the rear fenders sprayed with RhinoLiner instead of just installing a clear bra. Was a real shame. The thread should still be on here if you search for it.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
the underside of my front clam is coated... its durable as far as weathering, but it doesn't help much if you scrape a low hanging driveway... it'll still take off the liner & material from the fiberglass (i unfortunately know this because its already happened)

& here is what a scrape looks like underneath

·
Registered
266 Posts
When I had the Esprit (RIP) apart for 9 months of "routine maintenance," I coated the outside of the gas tanks with Herculiner, purchased at O'Reilly's Auto Parts. That stuff worked really well. Easy to put on with a brush.

·
Premium Member
2,246 Posts
the underside of my front clam is coated... its durable as far as weathering, but it doesn't help much if you scrape a low hanging driveway... it'll still take off the liner & material from the fiberglass (i unfortunately know this because its already happened)

& here is what a scrape looks like underneath

Guys, for crying out loud :wallbang: put a splitter on your Elises. The car's front end is much more stable at high speed. It'll protect your front clam from very costly damage, and I think most of us agree that it makes the car look even sexier.

I put one on mine when I still owned it AFTER I dinged the front clam. Learn from other's mistakes. It's a $500 investment that will prevent a much more costly repair down the road, plus it has the added benefit of making your car more enjoyable and safe to drive at high speed.

To each his own, but I'll put it to you this way.......I'm hopefully only mere days away from signing the order for a brand new Evora and while I wait for that car to get built and delivered I'll be enthusiastically trying to source a splitter for it or have one made if need be, but I'm not driving it w/o one.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
mostly looking to see if any one has actually used the rhino (sprayed from big gun) I have seen people rhino line a empty coke can and set a car down on it without crushing.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
mostly looking to see if any one has actually used the rhino (sprayed from big gun) I have seen people rhino line a empty coke can and set a car down on it without crushing.

it wont make a difference (unless you are looking to set a car down on your clam similar to the coke can)

if you scrape you will still take material off...

sure, you can go buy a lip but then you are just dealing with another piece that's susceptible to damage

if you are just looking for something to protect the underside of your clam then you have a couple options... 'sirlotus' makes a kit that sticks peices to the bottom of the clam, or you can do something that was discussed in this thread

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f92/advice-plastic-choice-splitter-skid-plate-fabrication-120445/

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
liner

it wont make a difference (unless you are looking to set a car down on your clam similar to the coke can)

if you scrape you will still take material off...

sure, you can go buy a lip but then you are just dealing with another piece that's susceptible to damage

if you are just looking for something to protect the underside of your clam then you have a couple options... 'sirlotus' makes a kit that sticks peices to the bottom of the clam, or you can do something that was discussed in this thread

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f92/advice-plastic-choice-splitter-skid-plate-fabrication-120445/
im talking about the whole underside(nothing you see from outside) not anything on the outside just to make them stronger

1 - 15 of 15 Posts