The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No, not the answer to "how did you pay for your Lotus", but the financial 'education' program. I was getting some banner ads in my home email for this. Lately it has been for a Donald Trump financial education system though.

With the economy in the US looking pretty shaky these days, it is understandable that people would seek out new options for making money, but isn't this just a big scam?

·
Registered
7,708 Posts
Isn't this a LOTUS forum?

Arent you essentially SPAMMING us by mentioning banner ads that you see?

:no:
yes, its a lotus forum. how astute.
but no, hes not spamming us by relating and inquiring abt a banner he saw.

this IS the "other" topic forum.
perhaps you would prefer more cat threads....not a problem as far as im concerned, feel free to put one up.

carry on...

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
With the economy in the US looking pretty shaky these days, it is understandable that people would seek out new options for making money
Not me, I am looking at spending money buying another sports car , this is a blessing for me since most people are not able to handle the down turned economy and are selling toys at a loss!!!

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
The Rich Dad stuff isn't as much about making money as it is putting your money to work more efficiently. I don't think it's really a sign of the times, I think it's more that you were in a thread about the US economy and the google ads system tried to match the banner to the topic. If you go into any of the political threads they will show various political ads. RDPD was actually a great book but beyond that, I think their trying to squeeze crude oil from lemons. The book is plenty.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
RDPD was actually a great book...
While I enjoyed the book, I think it missed the larger point a little bit by focusing on real estate too much. We live in an ownership economy, and owners and managers do better than workers.

I think "The Goal" is a much better book for everyone. While it is meant to be a textbook for business students, it is written as a novel and is (mostly) easy to read. The lessons are simple and effective. They don't apply to a household budget, anyone seeking to invest directly in real estate (or any small business) ought to understand it.

This book changed my life. I wish I had read it before we started our business; I'd be better off now.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
yes, its a lotus forum. how astute.
but no, hes not spamming us by relating and inquiring abt a banner he saw.

this IS the "other" topic forum.
perhaps you would prefer more cat threads....not a problem as far as im concerned, feel free to put one up.

carry on...
I'm in favor of more cat threads!!! Somebody start one. Maybe we could have an "Offiicial Cat Thread".... :D
Just kidding, folks!!!!

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
The Rich Dad stuff isn't as much about making money as it is putting your money to work more efficiently. I don't think it's really a sign of the times, I think it's more that you were in a thread about the US economy and the google ads system tried to match the banner to the topic. If you go into any of the political threads they will show various political ads. RDPD was actually a great book but beyond that, I think their trying to squeeze crude oil from lemons. The book is plenty.
RDPD is about making money with a great title. Two quotes from that book. My FIRST business was in real estate, bought low sold high (paraphrasing, but he doesn't tell you how). My FIRST business was import export. He didn't even bother to correct uhhh minor gliches like these. I once wrote a list of every contridiction and falsehoods in the book. It's slapped together and a huge joke, check the web for other peoples reviews. The only money this guy ever made was in selling books and games. At least Dale Carnegie had the guts to say he never made a dime in any business other then selling his books and giving motivational speechs.

DON"T WASTE YOUR MONEY!!!!!!! If you have it in you find an idea that people need and you love, work 18 hours a day 7 days a week, read all the books and magazines about that subject and go for it. I started with 2 people in the back of a Pizza place making Soft pretzels and 6 years and 160 employees later they were nationwide in Target, Wal-Mart K-Mart and 50% of Movie theatres in the country and I started when I was 40, oh eff I'm really old now. If you want to run something by me just PM me, I can lay just as much BS on you as Kiyosaki

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
Josh, that's really inspiring. I started my biz about year ago, and have been working 12-18 hour days, 6-7 days a week, trying to push the biz to the next level. People don't seem to get why I push myself like I do... :shrug: guess I just want the kind of success that you have.

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
RDPD is about making money with a great title. Two quotes from that book. My FIRST business was in real estate, bought low sold high (paraphrasing, but he doesn't tell you how). My FIRST business was import export. The only money this guy ever made was in selling books and games. At least Dale Carnegie had the guts to say he never made a dime in any business other then selling his books and giving motivational speechs.

DON"T WASTE YOUR MONEY!!!!!!! If you have it in you find an idea that people need and you love, work 18 hours a day 7 days a week, read all the books and magazines about that subject and go for it. I started with 2 people in the back of a Pizza place making Soft pretzels and 6 years and 160 employees later they were nationwide in Target, Wal-Mart K-Mart and 50% of Movie theatres in the country and I started when I was 40, oh eff I'm really old now. If you want to run something by me just PM me, I can lay just as much BS on you as Kiyosaki
I read the book on a plane trip about 6 years ago. Clearly I don't buy into it because I bought a Lotus for my 25th birthday and have been renting since I graduated from college. I like your story and I believe it's inspiring to know that you don't have to be an investment banker to make money and enjoy life.

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
RDPD is about making money with a great title.
:clap:
Never understood what people suddenly "get" from reading this book.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
I second Chris's comments about the Goal. Good book. It's prolific enough to be found in most libraries. Standard MBA reading.

I will also add that I am a believer in the Rich Dad stuff. In short, Robert had a poor dad (bioligical) that was very educated and believed in work hard, get good grades, go to work for a big company and devote yourself to that end. Robert also had a rich dad (buddies dad that took him under his wing) that taught him about hiring people, managing a business, buying real estate, and giving to charity.

RDPD, basically shows that people need to realize the world has changed WRT pensions, and loyalty. That's obvious i think for most of us here. It also says don't buy things you can't afford, etc. What I think some people need to do is have a chance to practice some of the ideas he talks about. I think the games do a good job at that.I will say this though. The game IMO is worth about 50-70 bucks. I think retail on it is about 120 bucks.:shrug: I bought mine used.

In one of the books he says, "my rich dad told me that 9 out of 10 businesses fail. I started 10 businesses" The book/game business is the successful one.

I still think the books are a great way to spend some of your TV time.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Josh, that's really inspiring. I started my biz about year ago, and have been working 12-18 hour days, 6-7 days a week, trying to push the biz to the next level. People don't seem to get why I push myself like I do... :shrug: guess I just want the kind of success that you have.
Trust me Steve if you devote half the energy and intensity you've shown on this forum you're business will be a huge success, larger then any of ours, that is not a joke, and I'm not being facetious as I'm apt to do.

I'm writing a book. "Get rich slow, or how to become a successful enterprenuer in 6,348 easy steps."

Yeah, and then blow a good portion on some stupid restaurant idea.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Now I'm starting to remember some of his book. God, you guys are ruining my day. He's pulled together stuff that's a direct rip off of other books. "PAY, YOURSELF FIRST" (that's totally someone elses riff). Don't pay your bills, don't buy food, don't pay rent, don't pay for your car, give yourself some money. What the eff does that mean??? Go bankrupt? Oh, oh my sides are hurting again I'm laughing so hard. Then his real estate idea. Borrow the money from friends and realitives and just pay them back and you keep the profits,. With a friend like that who needs enemies. Why didn't he just use all the money from that import, export business??? By the way this is an idea by someone else prior to his book. WOnder if he took his own advice two years ago. Won't be paying many friends back now will he. Hey why not run a pyramid or Ponzi scam.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Now I'm starting to remember some of his book. God, you guys are ruining my day. He's pulled together stuff that's a direct rip off of other books. "PAY, YOURSELF FIRST" (that's totally someone elses riff). Don't pay your bills, don't buy food, don't pay rent, don't pay for your car, give yourself some money. What the eff does that mean??? Go bankrupt? Oh, oh my sides are hurting again I'm laughing so hard. Then his real estate idea. Borrow the money from friends and realitives and just pay them back and you keep the profits,. With a friend like that who needs enemies. Why didn't he just use all the money from that import, export business??? By the way this is an idea by someone else prior to his book. WOnder if he took his own advice two years ago. Won't be paying many friends back now will he. Hey why not run a pyramid or Ponzi scam.
Well if you aren't paying your bills...the bank won't be lending you any money, so all you have left are friends and family. :shrug:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts