The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Too Many Projects
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, I'm thinking about picking up an Elise next spring (see my thread here), but before I settle down this path I want to make sure that I like the car as much as I remember from the last time I drove/rode in one 6 years ago.

Is there anyone in the Raleigh, NC area that would take me for a drive in your Elise and/or let me take it for a spin? I'll bring the NSX too, so that you can ride in/drive it as well.

·
Registered
158 Posts
ride

I can guarantee the ride is what you recalled from years ago.
Unfortunately do not live in Raleigh.
I doubt you can go wrong and it is tough ifyou compare to 93-95 RX 7 or a NSX.
Mort

·
Too Many Projects
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I'm 6'3" tall (only 170-lbs though), so main concern is headroom/vision. It didn't seem to be a problem the last time I was in one, but it's been long enough that I owe it to myself to at least double check.

Where in NC do you live?

·
Too Many Projects
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Elise ride for NSX ride seems like a good tradeoff.

Not sure what his forum name is, but one of our locals (Arnie) has both an Elise and an NSX...and a Pantera....and a vintage Mini...and other stuff....

·
Registered
41 Posts
Anyone else within a couple of hours that wouldn't mind me stopping by?
I'm in Winston and have a 2006 Elise. I'd be happy to give you a ride, or let you take it for a spin. I'll need to get it jumped though or replace the battery; I forgot to unplug and haven't driven it in a while.

Weekends are best for me. I'm gone the next two (Thanksgiving and then VIR weekend), but will be back after that.

·
Too Many Projects
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm in Winston and have a 2006 Elise. I'd be happy to give you a ride, or let you take it for a spin. I'll need to get it jumped though or replace the battery; I forgot to unplug and haven't driven it in a while.

Weekends are best for me. I'm gone the next two (Thanksgiving and then VIR weekend), but will be back after that.
Thanks. I'll be in Hickory at my parents house for Thanksgiving and am thinking of venturing over to Foreign Cars Italia in Charlotte one day to check out the green '05 they have for sale. If I don't get to drive it, I'll definitely let you know.

·
Too Many Projects
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So I went to FCI in Charlotte on Friday and spent a lot of time with the green '05 that they are selling. It only has 15k miles on it but it doesn't seem like it was taken care of very well. Some cosmetic issues aside, it drove extremely well and I truly feel that I answered all the questions that have been running in my brain.

Basically I have come to several conclusions...
- I loved driving the Elise...everything that I remember it was.
- Even at my 6'3" height, it wasn't as difficult as I remember to get in and out of.
- I don't need to modify the seat for my height
- I love the hardtop and have determined it is mandatory for any car I consided
- An Exige is out of the question because the visibility out of the Elise is already so minimal.

Here is the car that I drove...

Charlotte, NC 2005 Lotus Elise 2DR CONVERTIBLE Used Convertible Mooresville, NC Statesville, NC Foreign Cars Italia Charlotte | CC12318 | SCCPC11115HL30790

·
Registered
28 Posts
So I went to FCI in Charlotte on Friday and spent a lot of time with the green '05 that they are selling. It only has 15k miles on it but it doesn't seem like it was taken care of very well. Some cosmetic issues aside, it drove extremely well and I truly feel that I answered all the questions that have been running in my brain.

Basically I have come to several conclusions...
- I loved driving the Elise...everything that I remember it was.
- Even at my 6'3" height, it wasn't as difficult as I remember to get in and out of.
- I don't need to modify the seat for my height
- I love the hardtop and have determined it is mandatory for any car I consided
- An Exige is out of the question because the visibility out of the Elise is already so minimal.

Here is the car that I drove...

Charlotte, NC 2005 Lotus Elise 2DR CONVERTIBLE Used Convertible Mooresville, NC Statesville, NC Foreign Cars Italia Charlotte | CC12318 | SCCPC11115HL30790
Only my opinion but several concerns/questions:

Vehicle is shown with only soft top - I assume hard top is not available. Replacement likely cost $1000/1500.

Price is at least $5000 high even for a low mileage vehicle - that also "...was [not] taken care of very well..." and no hardtop.

I paid under $29000 for mine in Raleigh that had hard-top, car cover, 2 soft-tops and less than 10,000 miles.
I assume you just wanted to test-drive that Elise - so it's good you found that the Elise is still the car for you.

Best of luck in finding one.

Herb

·
Too Many Projects
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Only my opinion but several concerns/questions:

Vehicle is shown with only soft top - I assume hard top is not available. Replacement likely cost $1000/1500.

Price is at least $5000 high even for a low mileage vehicle - that also "...was [not] taken care of very well..." and no hardtop.

I paid under $29000 for mine in Raleigh that had hard-top, car cover, 2 soft-tops and less than 10,000 miles.
I assume you just wanted to test-drive that Elise - so it's good you found that the Elise is still the car for you.

Best of luck in finding one.

Heb
Thanks for the insight. Even though it wasn't shown in the pictures it did have the hardtop (was installed when I went to look at it and test drove it), so that was nice to experience.

You are right though about the fact that I just wanted to test-drive that Elise and I am not considering it for 3 reasons. One, I agree that it is quite over-priced...two, I really only want arctic silver or graphite grey...and three, I don't want to purchase a car that seems like it was neglected.

I need to get a few maintenance things done for the next owner of my NSX and then sell the NSX before I truly start looking for an Elise to purchase...so I probably won't be in the market until the Feb/March 2014 time frame.

·
Saffron Yellow is Lighter
1,291 Posts
I'm just at 6 ft and fit without these but just in case you can always uses these:

Pull the trigger, ask questions later!

TALLrails are Seat Rails for the Lotus Elise and Exige - Sector111
I am 6'3", headroom is definitely not an issue, surprisingly, even with the hard or soft top on. The worst part is the need for narrow driving shoes otherwise the 3 pedals become 2 and if you cant get your foot all the way down, your knee is in the way of everything.

·
Registered
158 Posts
purchase Elise

Be careful about silver or grey Elise. I believe they have highest accident rates from other drivers not seeing them as the color blends them into the road.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts