The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much stiffer will the LSS make the car? does anyone know? i cant decide whether to opt for it. will the ride really suffer alot for regular day to day driving? how does it compare with the euro spec cars that we've driven in our dealers? basically what im worried about is going through a pot hole, i kind of do not want the car to rattle and feel like it is falling apart becuase i had that exdperience with teh euro spec elise. will this happen with the us spec?

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
My meager understanding so far (from comments by our colleagues across the pond) has been that LSS makes things difficult for daily driving. Not to mention that the LSS tyres don't last long on the road.

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
I do not think that the shocks are adjustable either, only the ride height, and the wheels have to be removed to do this.

I like the LSS wheels better and the fact that the front tires are wider, and that the car handles better with it but for $2500 (or $625 per corner) I dont think its worth it, since it equates to spending over $200 more for each per spring, wheel and tire and you are getting a ride that you might not enjoy unless you mainly use the car on a track.

IMO your better off spending the $2500 for a spare set of rims and racing tires.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
The fed elise I drove had standard suspension was firm but not jarring. I assume the LSS is close to the Sport 190 suspension and very harsh on city streets. You won't want to do long trips in it for sure.
Chris

·
Registered
216 Posts
Had my car for 4 years, and my LSS for one. LSS is better than standard for me because of use on-track where, on my car, high speed long corners showed up deficiencies at the extreme end of the scale. Maybe my suspension was shot after 3 years ? However I know plenty of people who are quite happy with standard suspension on the track. I strongly suggest you guys wait until you have had your cars for a while, and then decide what it needs to have done in order to suit what you want. If the car is OK as is, why waste the money changing it - and for 90% of you, it will be fine. Make your Elise personal - I will bet you EVERY Elise owner has done their car differently - that is the beauty of them and why we chat so much about our cars - after a couple of years, eveyone has tweaked it their own way - even with a cup holder, if that is their thing !!

Remember LSS is only one option - The Lotus Option, and also includes a different roll bar. There are / will be lots of aftermarket suspension alternatives available to you - Nitrons seems to be the current favourite in Europe. So don't get too hung up on "LSS" as the only or preferred option.

As for LSS being "stiffer" and "uncomfortable" etc - I am in my late 50's (and 6 ft 2 tall, for those who keep asking if they will fit !!), and my wife and I have repeatedly travelled all over Europe in our Elise for 2-3 weeks on end, day after day, for 4-5000 miles per trip. No problem. I have another car, but if the sun is out (which it usually is over here) I use the Elise most days on city roads - no problem. You are not (quite) buying a go kart !! But, you will need to remember that you are sitting in a bare aluminium chassis, and even with some sound deadening inside, you are going to hear every individual piece of gravel that hits the undertray, and feel every bump you hit. When you first get the car you will be really concerned by all the noises. Then you start to realise it is perfectly normal !! But if you hit a pothole, it won't matter whether you have standard, LSS or deluxe super softy suspension - you are going to loose a filling !! Hint - don't hit potholes. !! Or Armadillos, or anything else !!

On my S1, the LSS is way better than the standard set up, less noisy, etc etc. Wouldn't change it back for the world, and perfectly usable on a daily basis. But I know Houston roads, and they ARE bad - so if you live there, you might want to stay on standard !!

And wheels do not need to be removed to adjust shocks(dampers). People roll up at the track, lie on the ground, screw the settings accordingly, and off they go. Ride height is a different matter - Why would you want to adjust ride height ? If you do that, then all your cambers, corner weights etc will also need adjusting, or at least checking. You don't go round adjusting ride heights for occasional track work unless you are totally anal about the whole thing, and even then, I can't see what benefit you will achieve. Maybe someone can clarify why you would want to do this for trackdays, which are supposed to be pleasant fun, and not racing.

I am sure your US LSS may be slightly different, but why spend money on something that you don't know if you need ? Save it for gas - at your US price, $2500 is going to give you a lot of fun miles of driving !!
Giles

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
waelsie said:
On my S1, the LSS is way better than the standard set up, less noisy, etc etc. Wouldn't change it back for the world, and perfectly usable on a daily basis.
S1 LSS is very different. The normal 'road' suspension for the S2 (and fed Elise) aready used the S1 LSS spring rates.

The S2 LSS uses significantly higher spring/damper rates.

The S2 LSS is really aimed to be a 'track' sport suspension, unlike other car brands where a 'sport' suspension is just a mildly firmed up normal one.

Bye, Arno.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Arno,

Thanks for reminding us of that.

Does anyone know if the LSS shock has adjustable damping? The recent news seems to indicate it does.

Happy New Year!

Jeff

1 - 7 of 7 Posts