The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently took my Elise down to Gator Motorsport to address an issue where my car was running 5 degrees hotter than normal in all driving conditions. I figured it was the rubber seal blocking flow like they are known to do so I ordered a 170* TRD thermostat and called Gator to get my car in for service. I spoke with Dino (very knowledgeable) about setting up a time and inquired about a couple other random parts for my car that another Lotus dealer couldn't seem to find for me - Dino was able to get them in a couple days prior to my appointment!

After the 3.5 hour drive down I was greeted at the door and promptly introduced to everyone at the facility/given a tour (cleanest facility I've ever seen!). As soon as my car cooled down TJ dug in, this is where it gets interesting. In the process of replacing my thermostat TJ noticed that my alternator support bracket (part of the Katana kit) had the bolts sheared off causing the serpentine belt to lose some tension. We both thought that might be what's causing the car to run a bit hot - the water pump wasn't turning at full speed because of the slack on the belt. Well, it turns out that was the problem! he pulled the old thermostat out and it was in 100% working order. The new thermostat was installed and TJ happened to have a spare alternator support bracket to fix the tension issue. On my 3.5 hour drive back home the coolant temperature was rock steady at 170* on the highway, exactly where it should be. :bow:

A few days after my appointment, I received a card from Missy thanking me for choosing them to service my Lotus. :clap:

I want to thank Dino, TJ, Young, Amanda and Missy for their incredible service and attention to detail. Instead of putting the new parts in and sending me on my way, the time was taken to diagnose and fix the real issue. It's competence like this that will keep me a Gator customer for as long as I own a Lotus! :UK:

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Glad to hear. True story - TJ is available for dog sitting as well and enjoys long walks on the beach!

I'm going down for the first time in a couple of weeks to have some general stuff eyeball by your bald tattoo'd friend. Looking forward to it.

Oh, and I told Dino that I'll have my choice of 'loaners' while the work is done - basically anything in Young's fleet! :)

Seriously though - curious about that thermostat. My car has been running hot (195-210) in warm weather and stop and go. I know, I know - they all do that - but if there's a solution, I'd like to try it.

Do you have an actual part number of the 170 thermo? From what I've heard, it's a pain in the arse to install.

·
Supporting Vendor
147 Posts
It was a pleasure meeting you, and servicing your Elise!! Thanks for coming down, we greatly appreciate it. As always, don't hesitate to contact us if you need anything else!!

T.J.

·
Vendor
2007 Chili Red Elise
361 Posts
Glad to hear. True story - TJ is available for dog sitting as well and enjoys long walks on the beach!

I'm going down for the first time in a couple of weeks to have some general stuff eyeball by your bald tattoo'd friend. Looking forward to it.

Oh, and I told Dino that I'll have my choice of 'loaners' while the work is done - basically anything in Young's fleet! :)

Seriously though - curious about that thermostat. My car has been running hot (195-210) in warm weather and stop and go. I know, I know - they all do that - but if there's a solution, I'd like to try it.

Do you have an actual part number of the 170 thermo? From what I've heard, it's a pain in the arse to install.
Hey now, I never agreed to the "loaner" section of our conversation. There is, however, an Esprit in there that is calling your name, you can sit in it all day and do Franzen things.... :scratchhead: (who really knows what that is)
But here is that catch.... It is a Flintstone vehicle :)

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Dino had the DBS keys ready for me :D

Actual part number for the t-stat? no, I ordered it from monkeywrench

Giant pain in the ass to do, that is why I took to to Gator

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Hey now, I never agreed to the "loaner" section of our conversation. There is, however, an Esprit in there that is calling your name, you can sit in it all day and do Franzen things.... :scratchhead: (who really knows what that is)
But here is that catch.... It is a Flintstone vehicle :)
Do you guys still have the buy one Evora get one free while supplies last sale? Heard it expired on the 15th of this month.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It was a pleasure meeting you, and servicing your Elise!! Thanks for coming down, we greatly appreciate it. As always, don't hesitate to contact us if you need anything else!!

T.J.
You're very welcome, i'm sure i'll be back soon - I've been looking at my Evora's engine bay and getting this feeling:

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
SwingLo said:
they are only a pain to install if you keep the clam on...

duralast 4077 (all metal version) is the one you want for 170*
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/_/N-93xlb?itemIdentifier=701269_0_1620_93208

the 180* version is this...
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/Duralast-Thermostat/_/N-5yc1s?itemIdentifier=615448

I actually have a new 170* sitting in my bedroom for the day my stock plastic one starts to eat sh!t

·
Registered
2008 Exige S240
3,116 Posts
When I owned a VF2 Elise this was a recurring problem.
It sheared the stainless bolt VF supplied. I replaced it with a 12.5 grade bolt and it sheared again.
The fix: I drilled a larger hole (drilled out the threads) through the alternator bolt hole and ran a larger diameter 10.9 grade bolt through the alternator hole and placed a nut on the end. In hindsight I think it was the grade of the bolt that was the issue so larger diameter bolt probably was not necessary. Stainless steel is too weak, 12.9 grade is too brittle ....10.9 grade is ideal

This is the first I've heard of a Katana doing this....

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Did you figure out why the bolts sheared off?
I guess the original bracket design was rather prone to this happening - I have to say though, the Katana kit has 31K miles on it and that was the first issue it has given me :clap:

·
Registered
66 Posts
I had a very same experience when I got my oil line recall/ new radiator done last fall. I actually enjoyed the time while getting my car serviced! That will not happen at any other place on the planet. :bow: They helped me solve my CEL problem as well. A great knowledgeable group of people, and a company like no other.

As soon as I get some more stuff you better believe I'm going back! :up:

·
Vendor
2007 Chili Red Elise
361 Posts
I had a very same experience when I got my oil line recall/ new radiator done last fall. I actually enjoyed the time while getting my car serviced! That will not happen at any other place on the planet. :bow: They helped me solve my CEL problem as well. A great knowledgeable group of people, and a company like no other.

As soon as I get some more stuff you better believe I'm going back! :up:
Your car is still one of the brightest and most attention getting being in the shop. Easily had 10 people drive up just to see what it was. :up::up:

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
they are only a pain to install if you keep the clam on...

duralast 4077 (all metal version) is the one you want for 170*
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/_/N-93xlb?itemIdentifier=701269_0_1620_93208

the 180* version is this...
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/Duralast-Thermostat/_/N-5yc1s?itemIdentifier=615448

I actually have a new 170* sitting in my bedroom for the day my stock plastic one starts to eat sh!t
Is that really true - is the solution to running hot really a friggin $11 part?

Hmm.

Hey Dino/TJ - curious, what's the labor cost to replace that thermo - that is, how long will it take? I may pick it up and bring it with me on 8/26.

·
Supporting Vendor
147 Posts
Jeff, you must remember when working on YOUR car I also need to charge for pain and suffering because I have to deal with you!!

Normally I would be at 5 hours for a thermostat and coolant flush, but for you, at least 10 hours.

T.J.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Jeff, you must remember when working on YOUR car I also need to charge for pain and suffering because I have to deal with you!!

Normally I would be at 5 hours for a thermostat and coolant flush, but for you, at least 10 hours.

T.J.
rotfl:nanner:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts