The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, after some research I decided to buy me the entry level John Deere D100 riding mower. I realize in the lower cost tier that the brands are pretty close but my very close local dealer and reputation steered me to the Deere. Its built in the USA and had the right features for me. I only got about 2/3 of an acre with a pool, patio, and a little landscaping but thats it. I aint got no estate or nothing :)

Just curious what people are mowing with? I liked the Husqvarnas too and a couple of the Ariens seemed like good deals. The Derre has a good Briggs engine, a cast iron front end, the deck wash, and a few other nice bits.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
I have a bunch of what I assume are legally engaged gentlemen who do my lawn!

:)

Seriously, my lot is around .5 acres with slopes. I travel all the time and have 3 little kids - finding two hours to mow and then bag just takes time. That's two hours I could be driving!

Neighbors and I all worked out a deal with the lawn company. They come on Friday morning (they are here now) and do like 20 houses in the sub. Gave us a group rate. I pay $12 a week for mowing and edging. No brainer. Two hours of my time is worth a lot more than $12 (plus the cost and storage of a riding mower).

When my twins (8) are older, mowing the lawn will be their job!

On a separate note, you probably know that Lamborghini started by making farm tractors. Was driving through rural Wisconsin and saw a tractor on the side by a farm - a old Lambo tractor! Cool. It was all carbon fiber with alcantara interior and eGear!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have a Kubota L3400 HST with a Land Pride 2572 (72 inch) Finish Mower and a Hawkline 60 inch brush cutter.

We also have a Husqvarna Lowe's model with a 24HP Kohler Courage engine and 42" deck for the tighter areas around the house.

I am very happy with both and would recommend them to anyone. I didn't buy the Kubota locally, but my local dealer treats me like I bought it at his place when I need service or parts.

I also think the Briggs vs. Kohler argument is a silly one. I think they have both developed to the point that, if properly maintained, they will be perfectly fine. Just last weekend the Husqvarna was cutting waist high grass at full speed. I attribute that to the strong engine, sharp blades and a properly sized deck (42" vs. the 54" that is now sold on the same mower).

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a Kubota L3400 HST with a Land Pride 2572 (72 inch) Finish Mower and a Hawkline 60 inch brush cutter.

We also have a Husqvarna Lowe's model with a 24HP Kohler Courage engine and 42" deck for the tighter areas around the house.

I am very happy with both and would recommend them to anyone. I didn't buy the Kubota locally, but my local dealer treats me like I bought it at his place when I need service or parts.

I also think the Briggs vs. Kohler argument is a silly one. I think they have both developed to the point that, if properly maintained, they will be perfectly fine. Just last weekend the Husqvarna was cutting waist high grass at full speed. I attribute that to the strong engine, sharp blades and a properly sized deck (42" vs. the 54" that is now sold on the same mower).
Nice - I agree on the Kohler/Briggs argument. Sure, some people have had bad luck with each engine type but overall they are both just fine. I have heard that the latest Kohler Courage engine thats used in the lowest end Cub cadets can be a little finnicky but like you said - keep up on service and it will be good. Kind of like a sports/exotic car? Hmmm.... :D

I have a bunch of what I assume are legally engaged gentlemen who do my lawn!

:)

Seriously, my lot is around .5 acres with slopes. I travel all the time and have 3 little kids - finding two hours to mow and then bag just takes time. That's two hours I could be driving!

Neighbors and I all worked out a deal with the lawn company. They come on Friday morning (they are here now) and do like 20 houses in the sub. Gave us a group rate. I pay $12 a week for mowing and edging. No brainer. Two hours of my time is worth a lot more than $12 (plus the cost and storage of a riding mower).

When my twins (8) are older, mowing the lawn will be their job!

On a separate note, you probably know that Lamborghini started by making farm tractors. Was driving through rural Wisconsin and saw a tractor on the side by a farm - a old Lambo tractor! Cool. It was all carbon fiber with alcantara interior and eGear!
Thats cool - a lawn service is a great idea. Eventually Ill get there. But, using a rider does make it less annoying. Id love to have a Lambo tractor - how cool would that be? :)

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Lawnmower Enthusiast = someone who can rattle off the features and the model numbers AND has pictures of said mowers to post at a moment's notice!

I bought a mac daddy snowblower this year (and never used it because we had no snow) and honestly, I couldn't even tell you what color it is (red, I think!) :)

BTW - just bought a new grill (delivered tomorrow morning), so I'm rocking my man card!

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,684 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
773 Posts
I have a Kubota diesel and a Husqvarna, both of which have been no trouble at all. The Kubota has a cab and heater and is used for snow removal, The Husqvarna has a mower deck and seperate lawn vac system. I had a Simplicity and it was horrible. Never worked properly from the start. Had the Kawasaki liquid cooled twin and would run for about 15 minutes then die. Returned to the dealer multiple times in and out of warranty. Spent about 2 k on repairs and still never worked. Absolutely impossible to get any assistance from Simplicity. Worst customer service I have ever encountered. Absolutely stay away from any of their products, even if they're free.

·
Premium Member
2,993 Posts
I have a Kubota G1800 Diesel......Love it but wish I would have bought the 4 wheel drive model with a bucket lift. Has it 19 years and spent less than $500 on maintainance on it over the years. Still runs like it was new. I have about 3 acres. Takes me about 3 hours.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts