The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey
Just ordered installed my first set of Star Specs on base suspension, base wheels - 205/50/16's in front, went for a drive and noticed rf was rubbing. Found the culprit was the mudflap had come loose (previously fairly sure.) LF is fine as mudflap is not loose. RF Mudflpap has pulled out two of the innermost mounts, and is working on the other 4. I think the whole in the clam is out of round, become or always was elongated, and the OEM connection may no longer be a viable choice. Looks like those phillips screws expand the nylon stud/nut which expands inside the clam to hold it in place. The two innermost attachments can be pushed right back into the clam - not a good sign for the factory fix without adding fiberglass?
So I am thinking - Clean as best as possible & silicone or JB WELD? In the event I cannot get a satisfactory solution, would it be temporarily acceptable to run my OEM YOKAHAMA's on the fronts/ star specs on rears (went 235's on the rears.)? I know the oem's will fit /not rub. Also - how do you release those two SMALL fasteners along the very edge (w/the holes in the center)? stick a pin in there?
I'm leaving for Kansas (1 week from Saturday departure) and did not want to run my "newish" OEM Yokahamas rear tires down for a 2500 mile highway trip. The rear Star Specs feel great. (So do the fronts except for my inabilty to turn right without rubbing.) Pardon the dirty wheel well. Looks like this:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,972 Posts
Can you get to the other side? Big fender washers. Thats what I did wit a Europa door handle...

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not sure - I don't know how they originally got installed.Looks to me like you might have to pull the clam to do that

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
They are just those screw type plastic rivets. You can get an assortment of them at the autoparts store for 3.99. You can use a slightly bigger size if the hole is enlarged or not quite round.

·
German Reimport
2,953 Posts
I'm not sure - I don't know how they originally got installed.Looks to me like you might have to pull the clam to do that
Not 100% sure but I think you can get to the other side when you take out the wheel liner

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
THEY ARE NOT SCREW TYPE PLASTIC RIVETS. THEY ARE 100% rubber with a threaded brass insert - see new thread...

·
Registered
997 Posts

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
fixed - thanks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts