The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After my right headlamp went out again I opened it up see if I could figure out what was going on.

This time I found that the connector that connects directly to the bulb is cracked and no longer creates a solid connection.

Does anyone know if I can by just this connector or wired portion? I called my local dealer and they told me I would have to buy the whole assembly and the cost is around $700 :crazyeyes

I am going to look at it again to see if I can use electrical tape to hold it in place. But I really don't want it starting a fire.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I forgot what the voltage is going to the lights, but you think you can solder the joint? I'm not 100% sure what your talking about, but it would be better then taping. Any pics? Or atleast an example pic so we know exactly what your talking about.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will try and post up a picture later tonight or tomorrow.

I might need your help with this one MacDady!

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Hi Mike,
I've attached a diagram of the headlight housing.

I'm assuming it is the connector to #9 or #10 (bulbs) that is giving you the problem.

Those connectors should be repairable if not available as repacement items

If so, I don't see why you would need a whole new assembly. I'll do some checking tonight and add more unless someone beats me to it.

Regards,
Wayne

Attachments

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Wayne,

As usual - THANK YOU for your helpful reply. When looking at that diagram. The wire that is connected right to the back of the bulb is the one I need. The way it appears in the diagram it looks like it should be a separate part you can buy. However, when I looked it up on lotusgarage.com this piece is not numbered separately on their diagram page either.

If you have any other info that would be great. Worst case I will try and solder it this weekend.

Later,

Mike

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Mike,
I found a pic of my right headlight.

Can you identify which connector is the one in question?

Regards,
Wayne

Attachments

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You really can't see it in that picture. It is the top light (the driving light that is on all the time). In the diagram you attached before it is number 11. Right on the back of the bulb the plastic that holds the wire in place on the bulb is cracked and lose so there is not a good connection.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
The wire that is connected right to the back of the bulb is the one I need.
From the sound of it, you are describing the plastic "cover" over a female spade connector that attaches to the male spade connector on the bulb. It should be a single wire in that connector. If that is the case, then the plastic is not really necessary. The spade connectors sometimes "get loose" and can be tightened by squeezing them a bit with a pair of pliers - of course you have to remove it from the plastic housing. There should be a small tap on the side of the spade connector inside of the housing that keeps the spade connector from pushing out the back of the housing. If you slip a very small screwdriver between the spade connector and the housing, you can usually push in on the release tab and pull the spade connector out of the housing. Then you can squeeze it, and slip it back in.

The worst case would be to simply cover the spade connector with some shrink rap - the housing is to prevent electrical shorts and the shrink wrap ill do the same. Some connector housings have "locks" that snap into place in the opposite connector housing (which means you should have a correct connector), but I don't remember anything like that on the spade connector for the bulbs.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Tim,

What you described sounds exactly like what I am seeing. I do remember seeing the spade connector as you describe it. I may try and do this tonight when I get home.

If I don't have shrink wrap, will electrical tape do fine?

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
If I understand you correctly, Number 11 is the white connector in the attached pic. Circled in Red.

Is that the one that is broken? If so, using Tim's suggestion it should be easy to fix.

If it is that connector, it does have a disconnect further back, so you should be able to replace just that portion of the wire.

Of course you have an '06, so I may be totally wrong!! :thwack:

Regards,
Wayne

Attachments

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK - it seems I am the one who needs the :thwack:

In your diagram it should be number 10. But I think it will have the same type of connector that Tim was describing.

Correct me if I am wrong, but it is the top light that is the daytime driving light right?

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
UPDATE: It's fixed now! :clap:

When I opened it up to look at it again, not only was the connector loose, but because the plastic clip was broken I guess moisture was getting in and the male and female parts were both rusted.

So a little sand paper and tightening of the connector and it seems like I'm all good.

Thanks Wayne and Tim.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
:clap:

Another happy ending. :D

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Cool, guess you solved this one. Wanna help me figure out why I loose my driver side head light sometimes when I hit a big bump???? Glad you got it figured out.

Sorry I wasn't around this weekend. Was camping since Friday in a no cell phone/internet connection area.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts