The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have searched the forum and I did come across a theory but I don't buy it yet.

As you can see by the pictures, the right rear tire has much more wear than the left rear. My car has an open diff. Is this simply wearing more because there is more weight on the left side of the car and power is sent to the right side more than the left?? I have not owned a car with an open diff in a long long time.

Does any one else have similar wear issues? I am considering an alignment but the wear patterns are very similar and the tire does not show signs of being out of tow or camber. It just wears out faster than the left. The last set of tires did this as well. This set has not been on the track.

Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
261 Posts
Lots of highway driving and high speed onramps/offramps. Thats my theory anyway. 99% of the ramps in the USA are right hand and with an open diff thats the unloaded wheel that will slip a bit more. I have started being conscious of how much throttle im using on the ramps and since the tire wear has evened out a bit ;)

·
Super Moderator
2,844 Posts
What you are finding with your wear is normal for any car with an open differential. The right wheel gets more torque than the left under power application and wears more quickly. It happens with all cars with an open diff, you just happen to notice it more with tires that wear quickly.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. Thats what I was thinking. What sucks is that if I had an LSD I could get more miles out of the tires. I guess I will have them swapped left to right at the 4K mark to get some more life out of them. They did (R888) last longer than the 048's by 2000 miles so that is a plus.

Tire pressure is checked on a weekly basis. So I don't think that is a factor.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Check alignment.

Wear in the center is often a sign of too much toe.

Cheers,
Kiyoshi
Interesting, what is the theory behind that? Too much tow in what direction? I had considered that at one point. The car does not seem to want to over rotate when turning left more than when going right.

·
Registered
974 Posts
My right rear A048 wore quicker than the left. I remember reading something that made me conclude that it was due to taking more hard right turns than left turns since I have only driven my car on public roads. I meant to ask about this earlier.

I now try to take more hard lefts and fewer hard rights.

The wear was also in the center.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Interesting, what is the theory behind that? Too much tow in what direction? I had considered that at one point. The car does not seem to want to over rotate when turning left more than when going right.
Toe-in.

Remember the rear tire wear issue with the NSX... yup... too much toe-in.

Rear toe-in is compromise between stability (more toe-in) and tire wear (less toe-in).

Again, toe is just one of the variables. Right hand corners, corner weight, camber, caster dampers, etc all have an influence.

Anyway, to be sure check the toe-in, should be no more than 1/4" total. Spec is 1/10 degree per side or a bit less than 1/16".
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f91/1-4-toe-rears-71132/

Kiyoshi

·
Registered
856 Posts
FYI Stock allignment calls for slight toe-in.

I agree, check your toe. I bet if you zero it out, you'll get more life outta your tires (and maybe be quicker in the straight aways).

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
mine did, too. it was the left rear out of whack, alignment cured the problem.
seemed funny that the error was wearing the right one out.
local alignment guy fixed it...$50 !! he even had the correct info in the database on the machine.
sam

1 - 14 of 14 Posts