The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm adding the LSS package to my '07 Elise, for SCCA Solo rules, so have to add the right-side cooler. I have a clean used RH cooler bought from a member here, and when I went to install it yesterday I noticed for the first time it doesn't have any hex fitting flats on the oil-cooler unions, unlike the LH cooler. So there is no way to hold the union when you torque the hose fitting. Are they all like this? First thought was this was an older-design cooler, but in looking at pictures of new RH coolers, it seems the RH coolers do not have a union you can get a wrench on. Is this the really case? And should I worry about it? I guess I'll torque the lines down and see if it leaks, but it seems strange to have built it this way.

Right side:

Left side:

·
Premium Member
2,647 Posts
With a modicum of care I don't think torquing them is going to be a problem

20 years from now getting it off may be another story

I think neverseeze might be called for

·
Registered
432 Posts
Having just gone through this, I just thought I would check, but my understanding is that unless you are running Street class, you don't need the RF cooler... if so, maybe you saw this.. Oil Cooler option "proof" needed for SCCA street class and 2nd Oil line question

That being said, I "think" early oil coolers had no hex.. later ones that they found leaking and/or the recall had hex points to support and not damage..
Maybe I'll see you out there!
Bill

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the link! I had not found that thread as it's under the general discussion section.

Same situation for me - yes, I'm running SS. I'm nowhere near getting to national-level. But as I run SS locally, have the LSS wheels and springs already, and had the clam off anyway for a rad replacement, I figured I may as well do the cooler and complete the LSS package for me or a future owner.

I was also thinking that they changed the newer coolers to the hex fittings, but when I looked at pics of new right coolers from dealers here and in the UK, none of them had hex fittings. Just thought it was curious.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Rereadings some posts and was checking.. is your car supercharged? If not, N/A Elises run in AStreet..

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks!, I noticed that SCCA had changed the Elise classifications from SS to AS since the last time I had run it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts