The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today my Elise was officially deemed totaled. Back in December my car was parked in front of my friend's house and it was side swiped. It must have been hit pretty hard because it tweaked the frame..again FRAME DAMAGE! So unless you are looking for a parts car stay away. The car will have some aftermarket parts on it because I am not able to take them off. (HIDs, NA tuned ECU, Clam hinge and cup air box) and also has euro exige wheels.

Here are some pictures of the accident (it was a hit and run, I walked out to find it like this :( )

Attachments

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
I'd have trouble believing that a hit like that would cause frame damage. Who diagnosed it?

My first thought would be that insurance company just totaled it because they know they'll lose less money selling it at auction, than they will repairing it.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'd have trouble believing that a hit like that would cause frame damage. Who diagnosed it?

My first thought would be that insurance company just totaled it because they know they'll lose less money selling it at auction, than they will repairing it.
The local lotus dealer, they attempted to align it and it wouldn't line up. It was then sent to there body shop and to get put on the frame machine. Frame machine showed that the frame was tweaked. :shrug:

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
The local lotus dealer, they attempted to align it and it wouldn't line up. It was then sent to there body shop and to get put on the frame machine. Frame machine showed that the frame was tweaked. :shrug:

How well do you know the history on this car? It sounds like you've dodged a bullet and had the frame damage all along.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
Geico told me fair market value for mine in "good" condition was around $30,200 iirc. That worked out great since I have a salvaged title, and that was back in September. I could see that being reasonable for most '05s, but there are definitely some more valuable than that. Good luck, and I hope they give you a fair value!

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Geico told me fair market value for mine in "good" condition was around $30,200 iirc. That worked out great since I have a salvaged title, and that was back in September. I could see that being reasonable for most '05s, but there are definitely some more valuable than that. Good luck, and I hope they give you a fair value!

You got fair market value of $30k on a Salvaged titled car??? Wow, yeah they are currently trying to give me $27k.

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
You got fair market value of $30k on a Salvaged titled car??? Wow, yeah they are currently trying to give me $27k.

I know, right? I was afraid there would be a problem when they saw my title, so I asked explicitly and they said the title doesn't matter. I would definitely try to get it about $30k. There are a lot of resources on here about how to fight them for a better value

·
Vroom vroom
507 Posts
For the right price, I'd still buy it... just gotta check the frame periodically for developing cracks! Right? No? eh....

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I know, right? I was afraid there would be a problem when they saw my title, so I asked explicitly and they said the title doesn't matter. I would definitely try to get it about $30k. There are a lot of resources on here about how to fight them for a better value

Nice! Yeah, the 3 cars they tried to compare were jokes, I submitted 6 cars to them today to compare. I would be happy with 30k.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Nice! Yeah, the 3 cars they tried to compare were jokes, I submitted 6 cars to them today to compare. I would be happy with 30k.
You know how I feel about how much you should get. Fight for what is rightfully owed to you.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Wow many I never would of thought this was the outcome, ever... I'd imagine the car drives 100% as before or did you not drive it? Well really hope you get a fair trade up!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts