The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Former Astro/Padre Ken Caminiti dead

Associated Press

NEW YORK -- Ken Caminiti, the 1996 National League MVP who admitted using steroids during his major league career, has died at age 41.

Caminiti died of a heart attack in the Bronx, said his agent-lawyer Rick Licht. The city medical examiner's office said an autopsy would be performed Monday, spokeswoman Ellen Borakove said.
http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/topstory/2841230

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Come on, hundreds of thousands of people die of heart attacks each year. Don't jump on the media bandwagon and condemn something you don't know anything about. I've been in the iron game for many years and the mis-information out there on this subject is mind boggling.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
chotto said:
Come on, hundreds of thousands of people die of heart attacks each year. Don't jump on the media bandwagon and condemn something you don't know anything about. I've been in the iron game for many years and the mis-information out there on this subject is mind boggling.
okay, how about steroids mixed with cocaine

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
How about someone that mixes water with crack? Cocaine can definitely contribute to heart problems. It effects the heart directly and disrupts normal rhythm.

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
chotto said:
is this the kind of misinformation you are referring to???

Adverse Effects of Anabolic Steroids

Increased Premature Mortality of Competitive Powerlifters Suspected to Have Used Anabolic Agents

Parssinen M, Kujala U, Vartiainen E, et al
Int J Sports Med. 2000;21(3):225-227

Misuse of supraphysiological doses of anabolic steroids is claimed to have serious side effects. The aim of
the study was to determine the mortality, and the cause of premature deaths among a group of subjects who
are strongly suspected to have used anabolic steroids for a non-medical purpose over several years. The
mortality of 62 male powerlifters placed 1st-5th in weight series 82.5-125 kg in Finnish championships
during 1977-1982 was compared with the mortality of population controls. The mortality during the 12-year
follow-up was 12.9% for the powerlifters compared to 3.1% in the control population. By 1993 eight of 62
powerlifters and 34 of 1094 population controls had died, thus the risk of death among the powerlifters was
4.6 times higher (95% CI 2.04-10.45; p = 0.0002). The causes of premature death among the powerlifters
were suicide (3), acute myocardial infarction (3), hepatic coma (1) and non-Hodgkin's lymphoma (1). These
findings add to the growing amount of evidence of an association between anabolic steroid abuse and
premature death, and support the view that measures to decrease AAS misuse among both competitive and
amateur athletes are justified.

Atrial Fibrillation and Anabolic Steroids

Sullivan ML, Martinez CM, Gallagher EJ
J Emerg Med. 1999;17(5):851-7

A young male bodybuilder, consuming large doses of anabolic steroids (AS), presented to the Emergency
Department (ED) with symptomatic rapid atrial fibrillation (AF). Echocardiogram revealed significant septal
hypokinesis, and posterior and septal wall thickness at the upper limit of normal for highly trained athletes.
The atrial fibrillation had not recurred at 10 weeks after discontinuation of AS use. Consumption of these
agents in athletes has been associated with hypertension, ischemic heart disease, hypertrophic
cardiomyopathy, and sudden death.

Acute Myocardial Infarction Associated With Anabolic Steroids in A Young
HIV-Infected Patient

Varriale P, Mirzai-tehrane M, Sedighi A
Pharmacotherapy. 1999;19(7):881-4

The use and abuse of anabolic-androgenic steroids have increased over the past decade and pose a medical
and public health problem. In addition to their use by athletes to increase muscle mass and improve
performance, people with wasting and malignant diseases are finding that the agents improve both their
physical appearance and strength. Unfortunately, anabolic steroids are associated with a number of adverse
effects, not the least of which is acute myocardial infarction, which occurred in a 39-year-old man with
human immunodeficiency virus infection. It is important for clinicians to be aware of the association and to
counsel patients carefully about this and other untoward effects that may occur with the agents.

The Cardiac Toxicity of Anabolic Steroids

Sullivan ML, Martinez CM, Gennis P, Gallagher EJ
Prog Cardiovasc Dis. 1998 Jul-Aug;41(1):1-15

Anabolic steroids are synthetic derivatives of testosterone that were developed as adjunct therapy for a
variety of medical conditions. Today they are most commonly used to enhance athletic performance and
muscular development. Both illicit and medically indicated anabolic steroid use have been temporally
associated with many subsequent defects within each of the body systems. Testosterone is the preferred
ligand of the human androgen receptor in the myocardium and directly modulates transcription, translation,
and enzyme function. Consequent alterations of cellular pathology and organ physiology are similar to those
seen with heart failure and cardiomyopathy. Hypertension, ventricular remodeling, myocardial ischemia, and
sudden cardiac death have each been temporally and causally associated with anabolic steroid use in
humans. These effects persist long after use has been discontinued and have significant impact on subsequent
morbidity and mortality. The mechanisms of cardiac disease as a result of anabolic steroid use are discussed

·
Registered
113 Posts
He admitted to not only using injectable steroids, but that he didn't control the dosages. To the point his testicles atrophied and ascended into his body. Read the Sports Illustrated story where he was interviewed. More recently he had been arrested for various drug possession charges- a really ugly ending to what could have been a enjoyable retirement.

Sadly, it was almost ott predictable.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
chotto,

Anabolic steroids potentially cause cardiomyopathy as well as valve disorders. I've also seen young guys who use anabolics come to our cath lab with heart function of a 70 y.o. if you use em, suggest you get an echo in the near future.

This is NOT medical myth.

Chris

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
zvezdah1 said:
chotto,

Anabolic steroids potentially cause cardiomyopathy as well as valve disorders. I've also seen young guys who use anabolics come to our cath lab with heart function of a 70 y.o. if you use em, suggest you get an echo in the near future.

This is NOT medical myth.

Chris
Editted. Chris beat me to the exact same explanation.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
:D :up:

Chris

Glad Chotto doesn't know where I live with the steroid-induced agression, he'd probably rip my lungs out!:D

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Guys, I agree that taking a lot of them will do irreversible damage to your body. For any of these negative articles, I can show you some very positive articles in periodicals such as the New England Journal of Medicine. "He admitted to not only using injectable steroids, but that he didn't control the dosages. To the point his testicles atrophied and ascended into his body." This tells me that he was doing a lot over a long period of time. Your missing the point. Drinking incredible amounts of milk over time can also do damage to your body. People try to compare these extreme cases and condemn everything. If you want to learn the truth from someone who studies this subject for a living, look up Dr. Norman Fost, who is the Director of Medical Ethics at the University of Wisconsin.

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Chotto,
Please understand, this is not directed at you but at dumb idiots who do this to themselves. Too much of anything is bad for you, but it doesn't take much (if any) of stuff like anabolic steroids, crack, water, meth, pcp etc, to be really bad for you. Sorry, not buying your argument. Took care of way too many people whose 'young' bodies fell apart because of this crap.

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Re: babak

master said:
Water? what's up with that?
Joint rolled with PCP sprinkles and dipped in formaldehyde, called 'smoking water' on the street. Three guesses what it does to your body.

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
Re: Re: babak

babak said:
Joint rolled with PCP sprinkles and dipped in formaldehyde, called 'smoking water' on the street. Three guesses what it does to your body.
I can show you several articles from the Lancet that say as long as you don't take it to extremes, it is actually GOOD for your body:D

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I'm just trying to make a point with the water reference (maybe not a very good one). Just about anything done to the extreme can damage your body. I will be first person to persuade someone not to take steroids, but I understand that done in small amounts with adequate time to recover, there are no long term health effects with the right types of steroids. It just bothers me when idiots like Caminiti abuse their bodies and use steroids as the scapegoat.

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
what do you base that on? I would love to see some long term studies showing that from the NEJM or any other peer-reviewed journal....

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Re: Re: Re: babak

ivan1 said:
I can show you several articles from the Lancet that say as long as you don't take it to extremes, it is actually GOOD for your body:D
Well, Lancet is more liberal on their approace to the practice of medicine, umm yeah that's it, sure.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts