·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
712 Posts
I just heard this on the news. RIP

PS: Randy, you have an old pm from me. Also, how was your x-country drive with your Noble?

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
OMG. RIP :(

I'm surprised there's not some type of net restraint system at the end of these tracks, similar to what we see on aircraft carriers.

I'm not sure that would have helped here, but it certainly has to be better than a solid wall at 250+ mph.

·
Registered
105 Posts
That was crazy, no brakes. I am sure the engine blowing preventing him from breaking and the shut was gone. They need a runway tuck ramp with sand for sure. :eek:

RIP

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Very sad. I agree that there has to be somthing better than a concrete wall at the end.

·
Not the admin anymore
11,953 Posts
There is a safety net. It looks like he hit to the right of it. The design will surely need to be reconsidered. A woman on a motorcycle went off the end last year and went under (I think) the net.

·
Premium Member
11,891 Posts
Wow. Horrible. RIP, indeed.

BTW, I recommend the film "Heart Like a Wheel", partly about his dad.

This death is v sad.

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
holy **** that was awful. one of the best gone.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
I saw that last night. Horrific. RIP.

They really should have had a gravel trap or no wall or something at the end of that track.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
You can see that he did everything right. He kept the car as straight as he could, and pulled the chutes, too. A true professional to the end.

RIP Scott.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
You would think they would be trained to put it into the side wall to slow down in an event like this.

Not 90degree turn, just push into the wall progressively.

Although, in the few seconds that took to occur, who knows if you would have time to react......the blast also could have knocked him out.

·
Premium Member
26,313 Posts
Oh no.

He drove for Jesse James in his dragster.

Great guy.

Terrible thing.

Worst dragster crash I ever saw.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
I was thinking "that doesn't look fatal" and then he didn't stop. wow. I have been there more than a few times because we autox in the parking lot, and we always watch the Corvette clubs amongst others do their thing, and it looks so totally harmless. But put a machine topping 300 there and oh man...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts