The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Moss, the ultimate pro, once observed that there are no professionals at dying — although he had practiced. He was sure he was “a goner” after his steering column snapped at over 160 m.p.h. in a race in Monza, Italy, in 1958.
As he staggered away from the wreckage, he thought, “Well, if this is hell, it’s not very hot, or if it’s heaven, why is it so dusty?”

·
Registered
2009 Exige 260 Sport
594 Posts
Moss, the ultimate pro, once observed that there are no professionals at dying — although he had practiced. He was sure he was “a goner” after his steering column snapped at over 160 m.p.h. in a race in Monza, Italy, in 1958.
As he staggered away from the wreckage, he thought, “Well, if this is hell, it’s not very hot, or if it’s heaven, why is it so dusty?”

Moss drove at the time racers died regularly at F1 venues.
He drove one of the most beautiful F1 cars ever designed, the W196 Streamline and the sister sports car 300SLR..
I met him a couple of times at Monterey, he was always a gracious gentleman to his fans.
He'll be missed by all who are fans of F1 and sports car racing.

·
Acme Super Moderator ** The Enforcer **
7,598 Posts
Moss drove at the time racers died regularly at F1 venues.
He drove one of the most beautiful F1 cars ever designed, the W196 Streamline and the sister sports car 300SLR..
I met him a couple of times at Monterey, he was always a gracious gentleman to his fans.
He'll be missed by all who are fans of F1 and sports car racing.
Wow. Very cool that you actually met him.

San

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
The name in and of itself is legendary.

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
My fav quote:

”There are two things no man will say he is bad at. One of them is driving”

Reactions: StressCraxx and glb

·
Registered
2009 Exige 260 Sport
594 Posts
Wow. Very cool that you actually met him.

San
It was MBZ's 100 anniversary, I attended a dinner where Moss, Fangio, and Lang were honored guests at an MBZNA dinner at the Naval Foreign Language center in Monterey. There were over 100 300SLs parked in the infield at Laguna Seca, it was the largest gathering of 300SLs – later we followed the legendary racers driving W196s and 300SLR in a parade lap. I can't locate any photos as they're actually in a photo album somewhere in storage.

·
Premium Member
541 Posts
I have never met him in person, but I have watch him race on several occasions back in Denmark. They used to run the Danish Grand Prix for Formula 1 cars back in the early sixties, watch him and Jack Brabham battle it out. Stirling Moss was driving a Lotus Climax and did win one year, I also remember Brabham taking the win the year before. May be a bit off on those results, it‘s a few years ago now. 😀

Reactions: StressCraxx

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
My fellow FF driver Jaques Dresang who races an Eagle DGF Formula Ford had a wonderful opportunity to interview Sir Stirling in 2005. Jacques was age 20 at the time.

·
Premium Member
11,852 Posts
Thanks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts