--
Bob Beamesderfer
Bruno Dog, 1994-2002, R.I.P.
mailto:[email protected] mailto:[email protected]

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Probalby not, but they might show up at a swap meet or in a classfied ad.

I don't expect to get anything back. Not sure I have the serial nos. for the circular saw and Makita drill that were stolen. All new drill bits, too.

Dogs must have spooked them because they left one of my 3 torque wrenchs on the floor. They took a few other sets of sockets, a nearly empty tool box, but left better stuff behind. Luckily, they didn't look in my car, which still had my helmet, small tool kit with most of my sockets, air compressor.

Bob

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not locked, really. Only thing holding the garage door down was the opener. They left behind the tire iron they used, but's so rusty there won't be any prints.

The repair guy is looking into a deadbolt mechanism that would work with the open.

I'm going to start locking things up and will probably put in an alarm.

·
Member # 16
180 Posts
It sounds like it was someone that knew you, or at least what you've got in the garage. How else would they know it's worth breaking into YOUR garage, and not your neighbor's? I hate to say it, but I would look at your neighbors suspisously and anyone else that knows where you live and what you might have in your garage.

If it makes you feel any better, I had someone steal stuff from me at the SCNAX autox championship. I just about always leave my windows down when it's hot out. [Julie, David Avard's Julie pointed out that having change in the change holder is a safety issue] I had 4 dollars worth of quarters stolen out of my little change holder. I mean come on! It's 4 bucks! Anyway, I was surprised that someone would do that at the event. It could have been someone seeing the change sitting there and deciding it's a safety issue, so they would teach me a lesson... I dunno.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, my garage is on an alley and when I work on my car, the big door is almost always open for ventilation and light.

I'm going to make big changes. I figure these punks will be back because they left a lot behind.

Just wish I could be sitting the garage next time they open it up. A shotgun loaded with rocksalt would teach them a lesson. But I haven't got a shotgun, and rocksalt is damn hard to buy in a place where it doesn't snow!

Meanwhile, I'm going to move my tools out.

They also didn't take my Cannondale road bike. It's not exactly locked, but it is secured to the hook it hangs from.

Bob

·
Registered
125 Posts
That sucks Bob. Seems that you've had a run of bad luck lately. :(

Rocksalt can be found lots of places, try the bottom shelf of a grocery store spice section or look for water softener salt. Might be a good idea to mix in some ground up habaneros. :)

·
Member # 16
180 Posts
Larry knows what he is talking about. I've bought Rock Salt a few times in trying to get Kosher Salt (I used to confuse the two).

Anyway that would be a great thing to do, however I'm sure your bosses wouldn't like you coming into work everyday half dead from staying up a night guarding your Garage.

I assume your Cannondale is one of the better ones (I'm a bit of a bike fanatic), so the guys obviously didn't know what they were after. Chances are your bike is worth a lot more than the rims and tires.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Chris Robertson said:
Larry knows what he is talking about. I've bought Rock Salt a few times in trying to get Kosher Salt (I used to confuse the two).

Anyway that would be a great thing to do, however I'm sure your bosses wouldn't like you coming into work everyday half dead from staying up a night guarding your Garage.

I assume your Cannondale is one of the better ones (I'm a bit of a bike fanatic), so the guys obviously didn't know what they were after. Chances are your bike is worth a lot more than the rims and tires.
The 'dale is kind of a mutt. It's crit frame, about 11 years old, but has decent rims [came with really crappy ones] Cinelli bars and stem, Ultegra headset, Dura-Ace ultralite crank, Campy bottom bracket, Sella Italia saddle, American Racing seat post and Conti 18/20 mm foldable tires. Still have the original brakes and derailleurs, which are Shimano 105.

Still, worth far more than the $150 I got the rims and tires for. I bought 2 sets of old style Miata rims from Tom Smith. One set is on the car with Azenis, the other set had the Comp T/As and was stolen.

Hmm, Walmart sells shotguns :D :D :D

Bob

1 - 10 of 10 Posts