The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious about what is collectively known in the Lotus community about the Riverside Motorsports Park. It is a $245,000,000 race track facility going in next to the former Castle Air Force Base in Merced, California. I spent an hour on the phone with CEO John Condren for an article I am writing about the track.

The track will be modeled after the historic, but now lost-to-developers, Riverside track in Southern California. Condren spent quite a bit of time at Riverside as a youth and it has meaning for a lot of racers in California. He explained that the track will be what Riverside would be if it had survived and evolved with changing rules and safety measures.

Merced is a small town between Fresno and Modesto on Highway 99. It is the heart of California's Central Valley. The track will have a fantastic view of the Sierra Mountains in the distance. Yosemite National Park is about 1.5 hours uphill from Merced. Ground breaking is to happen sometime this year. Condren used to run the Altamont track and has been working on the Riverside Motorsports Park for the last seven years.

The facility will have a road course, oval, dirt track, drag strip, carting track, mud bog, and the list goes on and on. According to Condren it will be the largest motorsports complex in the US. Condren indicated the project is still open to qualified investors.

The track's website is http://www.rmpracing.com/

Personally, I am pretty excited about this new track opening since I have a home in the mountains about 45 minutes away. Also for those of us who fly, the former Air Force base used to be home to B-52 squadrons so there is enough landing strip to land sideways and walk over to the track.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Are you asking us if we want information or have information? :) Personally, any information that's more encouraging than what's reported here would be welcome. Seems the story now is that Condren needs angel investors. Will this track ever see the light of day? (If you need some background on road course development, I can send you my interview with Alan Wilson.)

·
Registered
245 Posts
The ground-breaking has been delayed by public hearings, buearacrats, complaints from neighbors (even the local prison!), etc. etc. If it ever opens, it will probably be at least 2-3 years.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
10 out of 11 isn't bad

According to a RMP press release about the Feb court decision they won on 10 out of 11 counts. Here is the press release

To be clear, when I interviewed Condren he was not the one looking to get info out about investors. I asked the question curious if smaller investors could get in on the project and he gave a quick response that was pretty much boiler plate and made it clear only well funded and risk-tolerant investors would be considered if they approached the company. He did not seem needy for investors.

The project has been in the works for 7 years, I would be pretty surprised, based on the amount of race track construction going on all over the US and the success of the new country club tracks, if this one just died for lack of funding at this point.

I posted to gauge awareness of the project and to see if anyone had any other insights to the project. Thanks for your info, every bit helps me make sure my article is not just a press release rehash. I don't have any involvement with RMP. I just love the idea of the track being in my backyard.

·
Registered
245 Posts
You'd be insane to invest in this. I read Spring Mtn's investor kit, and it was clear that you took a lot of risk with not that much upside.

If they build it, spend the money to run a track day there. That's the only investment that makes sense.

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
I have a really good family friend that lives close to the airstrip. When we spoke about the track we were at the American Autocross series about a year ago. I don't believe funding was really the issue or problem, but community protesting and environmental lawsuits. That said I believe the Autocross series held there was informed this year that they had to find a new location. So that could mean the plans are on track...get it on track -poke-

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I met Condren years ago when he thought the whole approval process was going to be a walk in the park. Starting with the closure of Riverside, many communities have given big green lights to possible track developers, but when the project really gets before the public and the formal hearings start, either the city council folds under local pressure or local protesters start legal action that outlasts the developers funds. I have lost track of how many times that has happened in the past twenty or so years.

There is another track proposed west of Lancaster, south of Willow. It might make it if they have the bucks.
:up:

·
Registered
245 Posts
There is another track proposed west of Lancaster, south of Willow. It might make it if they have the bucks.
:up:

I doubt it. We'll be lucky if we can keep Willow Springs open with all the encroaching development in Rosamond -- people build houses next to a race track and then complain about the noise. The whole sound limit debacle at Laguna Seca is due to one guy who bought his house long after the track was there, sued, and got sound limited to 90 dB or 92 dB almost every day except for very major professional races, which account for about 3 weekends a year at Laguna. And an after market exhaust of 95 dB in street legal in Calif. Go figure.

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
I doubt it. We'll be lucky if we can keep Willow Springs open with all the encroaching development in Rosamond -- people build houses next to a race track and then complain about the noise. The whole sound limit debacle at Laguna Seca is due to one guy who bought his house long after the track was there, sued, and got sound limited to 90 dB or 92 dB almost every day except for very major professional races, which account for about 3 weekends a year at Laguna. And an after market exhaust of 95 dB in street legal in Calif. Go figure.
Willow isnt going to be closed down.
it has historical landmark status, so it will be there, and be used for a very long time.
smart move by the owners.
i have also seen the plans for the new track near willow. it looks like a great complex, but lets see if they can get it done.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts