The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the weekend, I flew down to Houston to pick up the Tonic CB and drove it back to Milwaukee (over 1,200 miles). What an amazing vehicle, but that's not what this thread is about.

After a couple of days of driving, and only a few hours from home I heard that there was a shooting at the Sikh temple just a couple of blocks away from the RLS / Chimera shop in Oak Creek, Wisconsin.

It's a horrible thing on so many levels... the human life lost, the children that will live with the memory of their parents and friends being shot in the safety of their temple... and the broader impact: the feeling of security being taken away from Sikhs, and for that matter anyone who looks "different", all across the country and probably around the world.

As it turns out, the shooter lived just a couple of miles away from the temple in a town called Cudahy. The shooter had a music band called "End Apathy" and promoted hatred of anyone other than people like him. The funny thing is that Cudahy is a blue collar town, built on the backs of immigrants from all over the world.

The next time you see someone who is different than yourself, consider introducing yourself and just saying hello. Different people aren't so different after all... we all have far more in common than we think.

And the next time you hear someone complaining about this or that culture coming "to our country", don't be afraid to remind that that the native americans were here long before the English, the Germans, the Italians, the Japanese, etc. etc. etc.

The Sikhs are excellent people... peaceful people, great community builders. As are the Muslims.

The shooter's band was called "End Apathy", and I'm going to do exactly that: I vow not to be apathetic when it comes to welcoming my neighbors, regardless of their culture or their religion. And I'm going to end apathy when it comes to witnessing any sort of racism that I may encounter: I will make my voice heard. Thanks for the advice shooter. Oh, that's not what you meant? Oh, well.

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
nice post.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
It's a terrible age we live in if a person can't even worship in a church without having to worry about his life. :(

·
Registered
796 Posts
a couple days of driving? i made a 1200mi drive in 17.5 hours last month (1 day, 4am - 10pm with a few pit stops). with your sweet ride, i figured you would at least shave an extra hour off that time!

as for the tragedy, it is very sad to hear. nice post.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Latest CNN article discusses one of the victims, Satwant Kaleka, attacking the shooter before being shot to death. The police found a bloody kirpan next to him and the FBI called the fight a "blood struggle." This is a google street view shot of Kaleka's house, notice the flag pole and how much effort he put into it. I just want to highlight what the shooter took away from us. A man who appreciates his country enough to make a garden around a flag pole in the middle of his lawn and has enough balls in his mid-sixties to charge and attack a gunman with a knife and take multiple bullets before going down fighting. Think I found my new hero.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Thanks for the pic and perspective.

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: the flag pole, the guy was astounding... came to the US with about $30, owned several fuel stations and other businesses, employing people, making an honest living... built the temple with his money for his community, and died trying to protect his people. That's a straight-up hero in my book.

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
The first photo is taken this morning exactly one block from our shop (RLS / Chimera), the second photo was taken about the same time exactly two blocks from our shop.

I'm just trying to get the Toniq back to the shop!

Attachments

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
a couple days of driving? i made a 1200mi drive in 17.5 hours last month (1 day, 4am - 10pm with a few pit stops). with your sweet ride, i figured you would at least shave an extra hour off that time!

If it weren't for an, um, unscheduled stop for four tires (try finding A048's in the boonies of Texas), I was shooting for 20 hours or less. :(

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Are you sure the guy's band wasn't called "End Empathy"? Sounds more like what that douche was about.

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
wow the flag garden looks awesome. what a shame. you just never know when some crazy knuckle is gonna pop off. Better pack the heat.

·
Banned
3,229 Posts
Is it still real crazy out there or are you starting to get back some semblance of normality? That is...are things starting to settle down?

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Its funny how cars can bring people together. Whenever I go to a C&C event, doesn't matter who and where you are from, when we are talking about cars we are all friends. I vote for automobile for World PEACE!

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Is it still real crazy out there or are you starting to get back some semblance of normality? That is...are things starting to settle down?
I think it will be quite a while before things are "normal" again in this community. The police officer that I spoke to yesterday basically said "this kind of thing doesn't happen here"...

Look at how the first police officer responded: he went to the aid of the first person that was shot. He didn't stand behind his squad car door and wait to see what was happening. He helped the downed civilian: that's where he was ambushed and left for dead (but somehow survived). Also, when backup arrived he motioned them to go INTO the temple to assist, instead of helping him (shot, what 7 times, including in the neck). That's pretty amazing that he was still concerned for the others.

The thing that really rips at my heart is imagining the children that witnessed their parents being shot. That shouldn't ever happen. That's about as evil as it gets. I don't understand the purpose of evil, whether you believe in evil or not... I just don't get it.

And again, to emphasize: these people are the best citizens you could possibly imagine. They were more American than most people... community builders, supporters of our freedoms. Nice people. Good people.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I listen to Mike McConnell show from 8/7/12 on WGN radio. He had Ravi Singh on his show. And he came across exactly as Thomasio had written about the Sikh community and religion.

Vince

And again, to emphasize: these people are the best citizens you could possibly imagine. They were more American than most people... community builders, supporters of our freedoms. Nice people. Good people.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts