The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
RLS Supplemental Intercooler Cooling Kit Installation

Part I: installing the side ducts.

Step 1: Remove both side scoops by loosening three Allen-head fasteners (per side).

Attachments

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Step 2: Using a hook tool (or similar), remove the two forward clip-nuts and keep them.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Step 3: Position the passenger's - side LASER cut bracket *behind* the lower mount, and behind the upper mounting hole. Replace the two clip-nuts as shown.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Step 4: Place the passenger's - side CF duct (concave side toward car, convex side toward bracket) behind the LASER cut bracket, and secure with two screws, washers, and nyloc nuts. [Note: your screws will be shorter than those shown in the photo.]

FAQ: Q: Why are they pretty on the *inside*? A: Because they aren't from Hollywood. Oh, and it's for the airflow!

Attachments

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Step 5: Connect the 2.5" Aeroduct using a 2.5" clamp.

GO TO STEP 7, or OPTIONAL: go to Step 6.

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Step 6: OPTIONAL (recommended): Using a 1" (25mm) hole saw, open the air path thru the lower OEM bracket. "Measure twice, cut once." Use a towel to prevent debris from falling into the rear clam opening.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Step 7a: Connect 2.5" duct (AeroDuct recommended) to each side scoop, secure with 2.5" hose clamp on each end. Passenger's - side duct requires a 38.5" length, and driver's - side requires a 43.5" length. [Note: your screws will be allen cap head screws... they won't be slotted like the gems shown in the photo.]

Step 7b: Reinstall the passenger's - side scoop, and repeat steps 1 thru 7 for the driver's - side.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Step 8 (OPTIONAL, but recommended by RoadDad): drink a beer! ... but only if you aren't driving.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Part II: removing the plastic intercooler duct

** This step assumes that you are upgrading to an RLS Intercooler **

How To: Remove Plastic Intercooler Duct

There are many ways to remove the stock plastic intercooler duct, most of them involve compound-cussing, sweating, and kicking of pets.

The adhesive that Lotus used to glue the plastic duct to the stock intercooler is quite tenacious.

You need the duct for your new intercooler... don't be a hero, do it the easy way.

It goes like this:

Step 1: Drill a pilot hole in between the plastic duct and the intercooler core.

Step 2: Use an airsaw to cut the thin aluminum between the duct and the core.

Step 3: Cut around the entire perimeter of the duct until it is free from the core.

Step 4: ** CAREFULLY ** score the adhesive between the plastic duct and the remaining aluminum, using multiple shallow cuts. ALWAYS CUT AWAY FROM YOURSELF.

Step 5: Bend the aluminum away from the duct, being careful not to crack the duct, and trim away remaining adhesive.

Step 6: Throw your old intercooler in the aluminum recycle bin!

Attachments

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Part III: If you are using the RLS 3-Chamber Shroud, use high temp RTV (room temperature vulcanizing) silicone adhesive to secure the RLS 3-CHamber Shroud to the RLS Intercooler.

Use Aeroduct 2.5" duct (available at Really Light Stuff) and 2.5" clamps to connect your 3-Chamber Shroud to the supplemental side scoops.

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Part IV: if you will be modifying your OEM plastic shroud, use these steps.

Step 1: Carefully measure your hole placement on each side of the plastic duct.

Step 2: Use a 2.5" hole saw to drill through each side, being careful not to damage the intercooler.

Step 3: Using a good 2 part epoxy, bond a short length of 2.5" tubing (aluminum or carbon fiber) to each side of the plastic shroud.

MORE DETAILS FOR THIS PART IV WILL BE UPDATED IN THE FUTURE.

·
Registered
949 Posts
i accidentally jumped right to step #8 and woke up in vegas with twelve hookers and a kilo of blow. i recommend this guide highly :up:

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
i accidentally jumped right to step #8 and woke up in vegas with twelve hookers and a kilo of blow. i recommend this guide highly :up:
rotfl

:bow:

EDIT: But judging from the picture, I'd rather wake up in Munich with three fräuleins and a keg of Späten!

·
Registered
828 Posts
FWIW, I have this mod from RLS. We did the data logging on my car. It's AMAZING how much of a difference it makes. I'd run my car without the top all day long and have no worries about it at all. The IAC temps drop almost immediately with the side intakes. Much more effective than I imagined it would be.

·
Registered
140 Posts
FWIW, I have this mod from RLS. We did the data logging on my car. It's AMAZING how much of a difference it makes. I'd run my car without the top all day long and have no worries about it at all. The IAC temps drop almost immediately with the side intakes. Much more effective than I imagined it would be.
That is great news! How much of a difference is this over just the top scoop? As in what are your IAT?

Also, How about the fan mod I see people doing? (putting two fans behind the intercooler) Does that have a good effect also?

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Fans will help if you *sit* in traffic a lot. Using the supplemental cooling setup, you won't need fans unless you are an LA traffic victim.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I know you want to sell the intercooler but if you do this with the stock intercooler...how much more airflow/temp do you get post kit?

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
While there is no substitute for a higher-flow, less restrictive, higher thermal capacitance intercooler like the RLS Intercooler, adding supplemental cooling to your stock intercooler is better than leaving it stock.

Best: RLS Intercooler + RLS CF 3-Chamber Shroud + RLS CF Supplemental Intercooler Cooling Kit
Better: RLS Intercooler
Good-er: OEM intercooler + RLS CF 3-Chamber Shroud RLS Supplemental Intercooler Kit
Good: OEM intercooler + modified OEM plastic shroud + RLS Supplemental Intercooler Kit
Not Good: OEM intercooler

1 - 20 of 50 Posts