The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hoping to get to Road America for the first time this year. There is a 103 dB sound limit. Can anyone give me an idea of the enforcement and measurement at Road America? My setup: 2007 Exige stock internals, PPE header, decat, single exit exhaust on the right side with a BOE Cold Air intake and tune. The car is loud at the top of the RPM range but I have no idea if it is above 103 dB at whatever distance and side of the track they measure from.

Being from the Midwest, I haven't been to a track that enforces sound requirements. Anyone have experience at Road America?

·
Premium Member
1,256 Posts
I've run with a muffler that needed repacking and I only ever hit 102dB. The only time that it was louder was when the pipe the muffler would come loose. So, unless you're running open exhaust, I would bet that you will be Ok.
Later,
Eldon

·
Premium Member
545 Posts
I run DMC header, cat bypass and Boe Silent Touch side exit silencer and pass our local track 95 dB.

Reactions: Lotusxs

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow. 95 dB seems like a low threshold. Any idea how far away the sound meter is?

·
Premium Member
545 Posts
It’s about 30 feet to the left of the car going down the front straight wide open in 3rd gear at the point where I pass the meter, the tip of my exhaust is pointing to the right, and there is a 3' concrete barrier between the car and the meter. I got black flagged same setup, but with a brand new Larini Group B Assy silencer, they told me I was at 96.5 dB.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is good information. It looks like the Larini Group B silencer is only available in center exit. I don't want to make the trip just to get turned away.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts