The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone gonna be up there (yeah, Ken, I know you'll be there)!

This will be my 4th year, but this time, I'm bringing the fam.

Planning on spending most of the day Saturday at the track, as well as taking the whole fan to the Concours on Sat Night.

Anyone doing the touring lap on Saturday? Let me know and we can roll together. For those who haven't, it opens up quite nicely. Oh, and I must tell my high school glory story of having passed David McNeil's Enzo on the session - proving that an Elise is, in fact, faster than an Enzo! :)

Weather looks good.

·
Happy To Be Here
2013 Lotus Evora IPS - Carbon Gray
917 Posts
I'm there all of Friday and all of Saturday. I haven't tried any of the touring lap business before. I haven't looked for that on the site, so I'll have to go looking for pricing.

·
Happy To Be Here
917 Posts
Ah, found it buried in the PDF form at the bottom of the fourth page. Looks like its $85 per vehicle per day in order to do the touring during the noon hour. Jeff, I'll have to think about it. If I find you with plenty of time, you could probably easily talk me into it.

·
Closer than you think
2,222 Posts
I have another commitment but I really wish I could be there! Have fun.

ShadowWulf - The touring laps are fun. If you do it try to cue yourself to be near last in line to take the track (Don't be first to report in...) Lag back for the first lap or so and build some distance from the snarled pack ahead, then let 'er rip. Inevitably there will be a few people taking 50 mph parade laps in their Corvettes, but they will be easy to pass. Honestly, the people up front are such a mixed bag of drivers that some are a PITA while others are just plain dangerous - let them mix it up with each other while you enjoy the track in that beautiful Evora.

Oh... And watch out for some D-bag driving a Chrome Orange Elise... He's bad news.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, very bad news.

The touring laps are great. They can get crowded, but by lap two or three, people are cooking! I've been up to 125 on them. It's a blast.

If you've never had your Evora on the track, this is a MUST. Really allows you to open her up and experience one of the greatest tracks in the country.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
quick story time

the first time I ever met anyone from lotustalk was at the Concours from this even 3 years ago when I met up Rob (ME!) & Jeff (Swinglo)

good times were had well through the night... then I think Jeff passed out in some bushes by an Aston Rapide. Rob & I couldn't find him so we went home :shrug:

:WADTS:

·
Registered
455 Posts
Yep, I'll be there but that's a given. Point of this comment is to get folks who enjoy the touring laps thinking about coming out to play on the track for a full day. $85 for an hour; consider that $300 will get you a day there with Laps Incorporated a month later on either Aug 23rd or 24th, or both for $550. When you realize that includes 2.5 hours of track time / day, an in-car instructor if needed and 2-3 classroom sessions with yours truly (Hell, that's worth $300 on its own right?!) not a bad deal.

I think we had 6 or 7 Lotus at this event last year, would be nice to see even more this year. You know me, always pimpin' the track days, get out and experience what these cars can do in an environment that is appropriate to do so. Not so concerned what club you decide to do it with just get out and try, even just once so you can say you've done it.

Hope to see a nice Lotus crowd in Elkhart this weekend and hope even more to see you back up there in another month for fun on the track!

·
Registered
2013 Lotus Evora S- Carbon Grey SOLD 2020 Lotus Evora GT Olive Green
335 Posts
The wife and I will be at the track on Friday and in town stuff both Friday and Saturday. Would love to meet and get to know some Lotus owners, before I get to buy one!
If you see a grey 2004 VW Touareg V8 with the tags PERVRSE on it that's me. Stop and say hello! At some point on Friday we usually end up by the Lotus Carell to relax and watch the cars go down the back straight!
As I live in Elkhart feel free to PM me if you have any questions about the area. Or if anyone wants to meet up!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Happy To Be Here
917 Posts
Jeff, let's see if you see this. I saw you during the touring lap and didn't see where you ended up heading to. Let me know if there's a place you're hanging out.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Hey Mike, I saw you leaving Elkhart last night..... By the intersection of A and 67 at the four way stop. I waved but you didn't see me.
Tonight we usually watch the cars leave by the underground parking entrance at Siebkens! Then head over to listen to the band there! If you want to meet up and hang out.

·
Happy To Be Here
917 Posts
I was walking around and I didn't happen to see you. I did run into Jeff momentarily before we both set off on separate quests for food. I wandered around until about 6:30 but my stomach turned so I headed home. We'll have to catch up another time.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Sorry we didn't get down there til a little after 7. The band at Siebkens wasn't the same as years past either, so we didn't hang out long either!
Yes we'll have to meet up some other time!

·
Registered
455 Posts
Apparently ran in different circles. Stopped at the Baer for lunch in the hopes of catching up with Mike & Kate, missed them but had the chance to meet Casey, a new to us bartender. Then over to Osthoff to meet some friends, walked the concours and finished with a stop to see Jason & Hailey at Elkhart's newest restaurant EL Taco. Super glad to hear how well things are going for them! Hands down favorite car was the Dino, those make tingly in certain places...

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey Mike - sorry we didn't meet back up. Wife and kids had been at the beach all day and that means hungry and crabby. Of course, the food took forever at the restaurant so everyone got more crabby!

We walked around, looked at cars and left. Didn't stay that long.

I gotta say, this seemed to be the most disappointing year. The touring lap sucked (too many cars, many breakdowns). Spend more time on the brakes then on the throttle.

The Concours was just 'meh'. So many cars I've seen a number of times before (and way too many Mustangs). Yeah, I know, the featured marque, but too common for me.

The highlights were in fact, that gorgeous Dino - still one of my favorite cars of all time, the huge Auburn Boattail Speedster and David McNeil's Ferrari 275GTB. Spent a bit of time chatting with him (we know a number of the same people). Good guy and man, selling floor mats must be lucrative. He's got that car ($1.3M plus from what I saw), the Enzo and he told me how he just went to Italy and got his grey 458 Speciale. Nice.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I would have to agree with Jeff that this year was a bit disappointing. It has to be like 10 years or more that I have been going to this event and this year was the least impressive! The bands weren't that good on Saturday either.

In my opinion Friday night was average and Saturday night was below average.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts