The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if a repost, but you know how the search function does not function here...

The new Road and Track has a comparo between a Lotus Elise SC, Alfa 4C, and Porsche Cayman. They acknowledge that one cannot get a new Elise in the U.S., but they say if you want the pure driving experience, find a lightly used Elise.

Bottom line:

The new Alfa: 3rd place. It was faster than the other two and pulled more g's on the skidpad, but overall was lacking.
Lotus Elise: 2nd place. They still love the driving experience, but as an overall sports/road car, it's too extreme.
Porsche: 1st place. Best all around performance/sports car and also one that you can live with day to day.

Nice to see the Elise is still recognized for what it was designed for.

·
Premium Member
5,633 Posts
I don't believe anything those one time driver idiots have to say, they ride around a track a couple of times and claim to be experts on a given car, long live Arashi!!

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
they ride around a track a couple of times and claim to be experts on a given car
Don't underestimate the number of people on the internet who haven't been within 30 miles of the car and claim to be experts.

·
Registered
7,243 Posts
We all want to try that new Alfa. I'm sure some proper perspectives on it will be coming up here.

·
shay2nak
25,083 Posts
the Elise's times were slow, I thought.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
I just read the R & T article. It was fun to read. They did praise the Elise.

·
Registered
72 Posts
2014 Elise S Club Racer

217 HP

184 torks

0-60: 4-8

1/4 mile: 13.6

They must be making them slower these days.

Going to the bookstore to pick up the issue now (and stopping by Popeyes for some chik'n!). Did the mag really test a 2014 Elise S? How did they get their hands on one in the first place?

If it really was a '14, that has the Euro5 Toyota 1.8 4 cylinder that replaced the 2ZZ in "our" Elise SCs. Lots more torque, but very under-
square cylinders with only a 7k redline. That could account for the slower 0-100mph time.

-Jerry

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
yup - glad they told me or i never would have known.

·
Premium Member
11,993 Posts
I just read the article.

The Alfa did not do well, in my perception.

The Cayman S is faster than I'd thought.

This is not the 1st time the Alfa steering has been somewhat panned. Geez, it made the writer hold the Cayman steering in higher esteem.

I do test cars I'm considering on bumpy turns; the Alfa would not have done well.

I have no dog in the hunt, because I don't want a 2 seater with fixed roof.

BTW, the Cayman has (according to Riley & Scott Racing) near optimum weight distribution; neither 4C or Elise do. R&S wants 56% on rear wheels. (As in my Elan, but not my Elise.)

·
Less is Better
2,789 Posts
Going to the bookstore to pick up the issue now (and stopping by Popeyes for some chik'n!). Did the mag really test a 2014 Elise S? How did they get their hands on one in the first place?

If it really was a '14, that has the Euro5 Toyota 1.8 4 cylinder that replaced the 2ZZ in "our" Elise SCs. Lots more torque, but very under-
square cylinders with only a 7k redline. That could account for the slower 0-100mph time.

-Jerry

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Redline was 6800 according to the magazine. I think I like the 2zz better.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
8:04 LAP TIME AT NURBURGRING for the Alpha, thats impressive. 35 seconds quicker than the Exige S

·
Registered
385 Posts
I'm still excited about seeing the Alfa in the US. Regardless of whether or not I actually pick one up, honestly not something I'll be in the position to do for a few years, I'm glad there are some car manufactures willing to produce fun cars.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
All the cars in the article had Euro plates. My conclusion when reading it was that it was done in Europe.

Chris Harris gave a much more open minded review of the Alfa 4C

Might look good with body matched headlight housings.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
I think the 4G is aimed to the more mainstream market than the Elise was back in 2004. Do you think the market may have an issue with the non - power steering? I thought it would have power steering.

·
Vroom vroom
507 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts