The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Greetings! I'm new to this forum so I hope that I'm not duplicating a question from elsewhere. Can an Elise be used as a daily driver? No, No just kidding!;)
The question actually concerns road conditions in Alabama and peoples' experiences here. I moved to Alabama a number of years ago from the Wilmington-Philadelphia area. I was relieved to return to The South and find the general road conditions so much better than I had to tolerate "up North." The Winters here are not nearly so hard on the road surfaces, I suppose. However, after a few years now, I've discovered other road hazards that have me concerned in connection with a possible acquisition of an Elise. First, there seems to be a lot of foreign debris on the roads, bolts, boards, blown tire treads - I'm now convinced that all re-treads come to Alabama to die. Driving through B'ham a couple of months ago I had the bad experience of being on I-59 in a lane to the left of a flatbed truck (and about 35 ft behind it) when he hit a bump or something that launched two 4x4 by 3ft boards that were just lying on the bed of the truck. One board hit the highway end-on about 15 ft in front of my car (Mercedes C 230sw), bounced up fliping end over end and I thought for a brief second that it was destined to come through the windshield - fortunately it passed over the top of my car. I wasn't so lucky with the second board which hit flat and then rolled under my car causing a great deal of damage to the panels under the passenger side of the car (all of which had to be replaced). The Mercedes, although small, is a little higher off the road than an Elise so I'm naturally concerned about roadway debris appearing without enough time to react. Temporary road repairs here also seem to have a tendency to be extremely crude at best. Then there's the section of I-20 around Anniston. I don't know who designed that road and approved its surface, but .... It sort of reminds me of that section of I-95 south of Philly with pot-holes large enough to swallow an Elise whole. :(

Basically, there do not appear to many Elises in Alabama (a couple in B'ham perhaps), but even less in south-central Alabama. I hope that's not because people have decided they're undriveable here. When traffic is not congested I don't really anticipate a problem, but I've been surprised enough times in my other cars that I'm a little concerned. On the back roads, things are usually good and there are some great twisties and if its not a dirt or gravel road, the asphalt surfaces are often wonderful. For the most part I can avoid the interstate highways (except when I'd need to take the car to Atlanta for warranty checks and service.)

Encouarging or cautionary words would be appreciated.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Greetings! I'm new to this forum so I hope that I'm not duplicating a question from elsewhere. Can an Elise be used as a daily driver? No, No just kidding!;)
The question actually concerns road conditions in Alabama and peoples' experiences here. I moved to Alabama a number of years ago from the Wilmington-Philadelphia area. I was relieved to return to The South and find the general road conditions so much better than I had to tolerate "up North." The Winters here are not nearly so hard on the road surfaces, I suppose. However, after a few years now, I've discovered other road hazards that have me concerned in connection with a possible acquisition of an Elise. First, there seems to be a lot of foreign debris on the roads, bolts, boards, blown tire treads - I'm now convinced that all re-treads come to Alabama to die. Driving through B'ham a couple of months ago I had the bad experience of being on I-59 in a lane to the left of a flatbed truck (and about 35 ft behind it) when he hit a bump or something that launched two 4x4 by 3ft boards that were just lying on the bed of the truck. One board hit the highway end-on about 15 ft in front of my car (Mercedes C 230sw), bounced up fliping end over end and I thought for a brief second that it was destined to come through the windshield - fortunately it passed over the top of my car. I wasn't so lucky with the second board which hit flat and then rolled under my car causing a great deal of damage to the panels under the passenger side of the car (all of which had to be replaced). The Mercedes, although small, is a little higher off the road than an Elise so I'm naturally concerned roadway debris appearing without enough time to react. Temporary road repairs here also seem to have a tendency to be extremely crude at best. Then there's the section of I-20 around Anniston. I don't know who designed that road and approved its surface, but .... It sort of reminds me of that section of I-95 south of Philly with pot-holes large enough to swallow an Elise whole. :(

Basically, there do not appear to many Elises in Alabama (a couple in B'ham perhaps), but even less in south-central Alabama. I hope that's not because people have decided they're undriveable here. When traffic is not congested I don't really anticipate a problem, but I've been surprised enough times in my other cars that I'm a little concerned. On the back roads, things are usually good and there are some great twisties and if its not a dirt or gravel road, the asphalt surfaces are often wonderful. For the most part I can avoid the interstate highways (except when I'd need to take the car to Atlanta for warranty checks and service.)

Encouarging or cautionary words would be appreciated.
Roads in PA suck. I went with a lower deductible on the Elise and try not to think about it. At least in Alabama you'll be driving the Elise in January. :mad:

·
Registered
344 Posts
My office is on Wilshire Blvd. I dare anyone to drive east between Highland and Rossmore at more than 25mph. Unless you know the road intimately, you'll destroy your Lotus.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,687 Posts
I've driven in most every state and major city in the US. And believe me folks ( Randy Chase will back me up....) Michigan has THE worst roads. They never maintain them.....they just wait till they totally fall apart.....then they wait another 2 years; tear them up and replace them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts