The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone have a suggestion for removing bits of rock, gravel and goo from the starshield especially below the doors. i don't want to damage it with anything harsh. the dealer told me clay will mar it.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
does anyone have a suggestion for removing bits of rock, gravel and goo from the starshield especially below the doors. i don't want to damage it with anything harsh. the dealer told me clay will mar it.

Tweezers.

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
Clay never hurt mine.

·
Registered
775 Posts
I've used clay on mine a couple of times, but there's some fine grit embedded in it (especially behind the doors) that just won't budge. I showed it to a pro detailer and his guess was that it's hot brake dust and other particles that melted into the plastic a bit when they struck. It's easy to feel by running your fingers over the surface, but you really don't see it over the AR unless you're looking for it so it doesn't bother me that much.

On the plus side, the stuff is meant to be replaced, so I hardly think twice about scrubbing it with a microfiber or otherwise handling it a lot more roughly than bare paint. It seems to hold up to that pretty well.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Here's the stuff I use on my star shield for protection:

http://www.corrosionx.com/rejex.html

Sort of like closing the gate after the cows are out, but it seems to keep stuff from sticking as much as it used to.

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
what kind of clay and how did you use it? I have some serious crap that has resisted all sorts of treatment, more importantly I've got some cooked on tar residue on the paint that I need to address. Advice and education is greatly appreciated.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts