The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Driving along to our monthly SCCA meeting, traffic fit a bottleneck and traffic bunched up, next thing I know the SUV in front of me runs over a 4'x8' panel of fiberglass insulating board, the stuff that has a foil coating on both sides. The vacuum behind the SUV picks it up vertical right in front of me and I drive through it. It exploded into a bunch of pieces and took out my drivers side mirror, reflector, star shield, scuffed the paint, and scratched the drivers side window. I'm really hoping the scuffs in the pain will buff out. If that is the case, then it should be a new mirror, drivers side glass, and front Starshield (or equivalent). I thinking I should probably just eat the costs rather than trying to file on insurance assuming the front clam doesn't have to be resprayed. Of course if I respray the front clam, it is a good time for a license plate shave and seam fill. Any ideas regarding filing with insurance (I have Amica)? I also need a good body shop recommendation around Charlotte, NC, but I am willing to drive to Atlanta area or up into Virginia for a quality shop.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It wasn't the SUV's fault. Somebody else dropped it in the road. With a cement guard rail on one side and bunched up traffic on the other side, neither of us had any place to try and dodge. It already had a couple of chunks missing from other cars hitting it. By the time the SUV went over it, the panel was smack in the middle of the lane, so the wake behind the SUV was enough to pick it up and throw it in the air. Now if I could find the original vehicle that dropped it I would be all over them.

·
Registered
531 Posts
That sucks, but it does not look that bad it should buff out.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
too bad, it does not look bad, I would see about buffing, I do not think I would file for that type of damage.

You don't want to add a carfax record....

·
Registered
215 Posts
Feel your pain, man.

Watched a shovel fall off a beat up old pick up truck in front of me and on the other side of the median one rush hour on Schuykill Expressway years ago. No where to run to dodge it as it bounced its way toward my brand new (at the time) Camaro.

Glad to read no one was hurt in your scenario. That can happen too as people swerve or --in the case of big objects like the insulation-- lose visibility. Good luck with the insurance and repairs.

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
ouch, that sucks.

Apart from the mirrors the damage does not look that bad. Good luck

·
Registered
179 Posts
Check with the local police and see if there are any traffic cams in that area, you might be surprised, a lot of times you cant even see them, and you might find the original offender.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
What exactly is the Starshield guarantee? Shouldn't the replacement of the Starshield be covered by that warranty?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts