The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 147 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help!
Me and 15 or more other cars hit this monster on RT.50 lastnight.:(
I saw it 10 feet before it was under me. It went under the front and out the side. Could have been much worse. Other cars lost oil pans, gas tanks, two or more tires and deployed airbags.
They will be fixed by any average shop. I, on the other hand need advice and professional help.
I've had the car for only a few weeks and wouldn't begin to know who I can trust to put her back together correctly.
Any advice will be very helpful..
Thanks in advance, Steve

Attachments

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
what is that and why the hell was it in the middle of the road??

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
Wow that really sucks, sorry to see. Do you have a better shot under the car? This may not go well...

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
what is that and why the hell was it in the middle of the road??
No f**king clue... It was 8 inches tall and looked like it came from a machine shop.
It was rolling when I saw/hit it.. it looked bigger spinning...:shrug:

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
i'm thinking a construction truck dropped that on the street.....damn

I'd say lift up the car and see how its like under

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow that really sucks, sorry to see. Do you have a better shot under the car? This may not go well...
The underside looks suprisingly good. The under pans are unmarked except for the one under the passenger door, it is dented ... that is the exit wound..

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i'm thinking a construction truck dropped that on the street.....damn

I'd say lift up the car and see how its like under
I'm looking for a trusted place to take it... my insurance company is coming out in the next few days...

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
I think the tub is unrepairable... I can't tell if the tub is damaged or not

·
Registered
398 Posts
:eek:
I hate to be a pessimist, but from the aluminium sticking out from all the damaged fiberglass, I think the car may be totalled.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
I hate to be a pessimist, but from the aluminium sticking out from all the damaged fiberglass, I think the car may be totalled.
I wouldn't be surprised if you're right. Deformed shear panels like that might mean a deformed tub. Let's hope not...

Tom

·
Super Moderator
2,844 Posts
I would have to agree with you that there is a good chance this car is totalled. That appears to be a piece of the chassis that is bent up and seperated under the sill. If it is, that can't be repaired :( I sincerely hope we are wrong on this............
Can you get a photo of the underside of that damaged sill showing the bent aluminum?

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
There is a good chance this car is totalled due to chassis damage. I remember one person in the area here ran over a car bumper which punched a small hole in the floor pan - totalled. :sad:

Blows that this happened but good that you didn't lose control of the car.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Post an underbody picture and we will be able to tell you for sure if you need to press the insurance to total the car. I'm sure there are enough shop guys reading this thread that can provide an accurate opinion, and I've hit enough sh*t on the road in my Lotus to have my opinion on the matter be worth more than $0.02.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I remember one person in the area here ran over a car bumper which punched a small hole in the floor pan - totalled
Yeah, but then he bought a Maserati. Cough*sellout*cough. Though last I heard he's not driving the Cambiocorsa anymore, he's moved on to bigger and better things.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I would have to agree with you that there is a good chance this car is totalled. That appears to be a piece of the chassis that is bent up and seperated under the sill. If it is, that can't be repaired :( I sincerely hope we are wrong on this............
Can you get a photo of the underside of that damaged sill showing the bent aluminum?
Come on guys... I drove it home without anything feeling a bit different.
I'm a newbie so help me out.... does tub=frame? sill?
Looks to me that 3 body parts need to be replaced...
There is a 3-4 inch panel under the passenger door that is bent...it runs the under:confused: the passenger door... other than that not one dent on the underside..

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Post an underbody picture and we will be able to tell you for sure if you need to press the insurance to total the car. I'm sure there are enough shop guys reading this thread that can provide an accurate opinion, and I've hit enough sh*t on the road in my Lotus to have my opinion on the matter be worth more than $0.02.
Believe me, once it is up in the air, I'll post a pick... Didn't sleep well last night and this s**t is not helping....:mad:

·
Premium Member
29,081 Posts
One downside of the way this car is made, is that the tub is considered one single no-separable assembly and not repairable by Lotus. The tub provides the structural integrity and stiffness. This does not mean you can't have it repaired or that it is not possible. But the corporate stance, which makes sense from that perspective, is that if the tub is damaged, including any suspension pick up points, that the tub is flawed and totaled. Once aluminum is deformed, it is changed.

The cost to replace the tub is normally more than the value of the car, so then the car is totaled. Would make a great candidate for someone building a racing car though.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,688 Posts
+ another one....sorry... better get it to the dealer for an assesment...looks like it could have frame damage.

1 - 20 of 147 Posts