The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my exige for three years now and I had my first road kill near miss. It was a dark and foggy morning. There was traffic so I was driving on dims. Suddenly there was a dead porcupine in the middle of the lane. I just managed to swerve enough to avoid him taking out my license plate (which is lower than my splitter). Then I waited for the thump. Amazingly I just skimmed the top of him, so no damage. I have lived in fear of this moment for 3 years. One of the risks of living in the country. Curious to hear other people's stories.

·
Premium Member
5,633 Posts
With no spare tire if you had ran over him you would had been stranded, get AAA as soon as you can!! Lol I live in the city so I swerve people instead... BTW I do have AAA

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have to dodge deer, moose, turkeys, raccoons, porcupines, skunks and snapping turtles. Good way to hone my autocross skilz lol

·
Registered
224 Posts
I 'bumped' a rabbit a few months abo. As a pathetic animal lover, I go out of my way to try and miss anything. But rabbits are truly stupid animals. He darted across and I swerved (was low speeds in my neighborhood). The little guy bumped the front splitter of the Exige and fell off to the side. I looked back and he was rolling into the gutter. I got out and he darted off into my neighbor's yard. So - nothing terrible.

For the tl;dr crowd, here's a picture for you.

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
...and yes I hit a deer, or more accurately a meaty chunk o' deer thrown up from a truck that hit it. In relative terms, we got lucky but it took a pretty good bite out of the clam. Fortunately the folks at TurboLab in Utah checked it out and did some quick carbon fiber work to get us going again. ImageUploadedByAutoguide1351790009.806846.jpg
ImageUploadedByAutoguide1351790043.137906.jpg

Time for a new clam I guess...fortunately the oil coolers, lines radiators, etc were okay

·
Registered
693 Posts
When I was living in the midwest I was traveling 75mph at night in my E92m3 and a raccoon with a death wish decided to run accross the freeway. The timing was perfect and I hit it as it was directly in front of me. No damage to bumper. It went right through the front grill. Grill and radiator were replaced by insurance.

Later that year I was on the freeway at 0200 in the morning headed home going about 75mph again in my M3 with dims on. I started thinking about the suicide raccoon and decided to hit my brights every now and then to get a better view of the freeway. On the second attempt, I hit my brights and there was a 14 pt Deer standing in the middle of the freeway. I was so startled by it but had no time to apply the breaks. I swurved about 8-10 ft and missed the Deer by less than a foot. I was rattled and on tilt the entire rest of the way home. Took me a good 30 minutes for my heart rate to go back to normal.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Not a hit, but a HIT THE BRAKES, pucker up and hold on moment: This is one summer ago, in my former MR2 Spyder; Coming home from picking my daughter up in Grand Lake, Colorado. Came over Trail Ridge Road as the sun set. Headed down the narrow and winding Thompson Canyon; It was a warm night, top was down, and I was moving right along; suddenly I got a really strange feeling which caused me to let off the gas and drop about 15 mph. About two curves and 1/4 mile later there was a huge black bear smack dead center of the freaking road! Laid on the brakes and came to a total stop about 3 feet from him as he merely stood there gawking into the headlight beams. ..... Pikes Peak (south of here about 150 miles) has lots of B.F. sightings, but so dows the Thompson Area.... I am fairly certain this was a bear, .... not the Jack Links Beef Jerky spokesman.-eek-

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
I accidentally nailed a racoon at 60, and it rolled under the car, got up, and ran away! Broke my splitter, but that was it. I wonder how long he lived.

·
Premium Member
2,246 Posts
... Pikes Peak (south of here about 150 miles) has lots of B.F. sightings, but so dows the Thompson Area.... I am fairly certain this was a bear, .... not the Jack Links Beef Jerky spokesman.-eek-
You'd know the difference. TRUST ME!

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
I was driving through my neighborhood a few weeks ago and a giant possum ran out into the road. I was only going about 30mph but I slammed on my brakes quick/hard enough that my splitter just gave him a little scoot and he just wandered back off into the darkness as if nothing happened. No damage to my car or the possum... but still scared me.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I was driving down I95 and a deer ran out in front of me while I was doing 80mph in the Elise. Idiot deer could not have been more than 10ft from my front bumper when he passed. I did not even get a chance to tap the brakes.

I kept going and thought that would have been an interesting way to die.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I had to swerve around a darn mouse the other day. It’s not that I care for them, I just didn’t want to clean up that mess.

Mouse? Or Moose? The mess would be considerably different....

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
I was driving my '74 Spitfire which is about 2" off the ground one night when a cat darted out on my left side and went under the car. The cat lost.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts