The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
!!!! excellent!

Spend a day of hard driving behind the wheel of an Elise and it all but ruins you for nearly every other sports car on earth.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
khamai said:
"Braking is rock solid (a new R&T BEST of 105ft, from 60)..."

WOW!!!! :clap:
Braking from 80 mph:

Ferrari Enzo- 188 ft
Lotus Elise - 188 ft

Ties the Enzo and Modena 360 for best braking from 80 for R&T road test summary.

:D

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Great writeup, maybe it'll make some of the guys that are wavering towards something else, the incentive to wait a bit longer, clearly everyone seems to think this car is outstanding!!
Chris:)

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
It says the seats are 13.5 inches wide- that seems way too skinny. I thought they were making the ones for the US wider.

Also says front and rear sway bars, but there is only one in the front from what I have heard.

Good thing it mentions that they are almost sold out for the first year. This way people who are just learning about the car wont be surprised to find out about the waiting list.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Wow. Great article -- thanks for posting it!

I must confess to eagerly awaiting R&T's review, as I've enjoyed their magazine for years (CAR and Evo are still my favorites).

The circle is complete now. Bring on the demos... :)

·
Registered
5,215 Posts
It's also interesting to note that in the R&T Road Test Summary only 2 other cars got over 70mph in their Slalom test -
Viper SRT-10 Competition Coupe (on race tires) - 78.3mph
Ferrari Enzo - 73.0mph
Elise - 71.1mph
NO other car has gotten over 69 mph!

While the numbers are amazing, it's the feel and confidence you get as a driver that just flat out makes your eyes open wide. You'll find yourself going into transients (esses) thinking "this is an impossible speed" and as you exit you'll hear yourself say, "Whoa, that was a piece of cake. No drama. Totally glued. How much more is there?"

Nice time to re-watch the slalom parts of the Randy's run at the WCLM autocross. Pay particular attention to how quickly the car changes directions and the total lack of "drama". It just goes where it's pointed.

http://ns1.freeapp.net/~gglotus/ggpast/2004wclmpix/index.html
scroll to the bottom and click on the Elise Autocross vid...

Kiyoshi

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
zvezdah1 said:
...it'll make some of the guys that are wavering towards something else, the incentive to wait a bit longer, clearly everyone seems to think this car is outstanding!!
Chris:)
Actually, it has!

The article is great. It really brings someone who doesn't understand power to weight up to speed nicely. But what I found most englightening was:

"Acceleration increase dramatically from Madza RX-8 levels to Porsche 911 GT3 territory in just a few hundred revs."

That kind of put the acceleration into perspective.
Now get me my car!!!! ;)

·
Registered
163 Posts
That does it! I'm fed up with this car! I'm tired of all the praise, glowing reviews and outstanding subjective ratings. This car is just too damn good!

I'm dropping my deposit first thing tomorrow!

:D

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
It will be interesting to hear the first reports from owners. I just found out mine isnt coming until late August. Darn, I was hoping it would be in the first batch. This car sounds like it handles like it is on rails.

I currently can do about 50 around a curve going onto the highway around me before the car feels like its coming loose, I will do the same in the Elise and gradually work my way up in 5 mph increments to see how much better it handles.

After driving the Elise, we will be spoiled, all other cars will feel and handle like they are mini-vans.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Wait, doesn't someone want to post about how they are disappointed about some aspect of the write-up/performance? Oh, how about the braking distance, anyone still find it disappointing, or surprising it is not 80 feet from 60 mph?
$44,000, and it betters many supercars costing multiples of the Elise.
I can't wait! This car is the essence of the Colin Chapman philosophy!

·
Registered
5,411 Posts
My biggest fear now is if my expectations will be to high for the car. Had I gotten it sooner and without all the waiting drama and ensueing numerous reviews I might have appreciated it more. Will see..

·
Registered
687 Posts
Minor point: am I the only one that noticed that "brake feel" was rated "good" (and not "very good" or "excellent")? Oh well, better than "average" and "poor."

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Does anyone know what Lotus is using for the brake lines on the elise? I've upgraded my Audi TT to Stoptech brakes and braided brake lines and the pedal feel is super tight. I imagine a simple upgrade to braided lines might change the pedal feel to "excellent"... Anyone have any ideas or seen a pic of the brakes with the wheels off the car?

1 - 20 of 70 Posts