The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Loves to talk
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Road&Track's PCOTY article in 2017 was one of the ways I balanced my confirmation bias when I decided to take the leap. They liked the 400 on NCM, which favors HP. This year the GT is back as one of the contenders although the locations are different ( Thunderhill this year). Link I've run my car on the NCM and used it on the roads they drove locally so I knew the conditions encountered for the last two years but this year may be different. And that's all I know.

Anyway, I think the GT will acquit itself well in the track test and overall. I see mine more as a fun everyday ride than a track car so track success is perhaps less important to me than to most of you......... but we each have our reasons.

Evora content (below) is included in Matt Farah's loose preview of the results coming from the R&T tests. If you've got ten minutes you can start at 29:45. If you're impatient the main GT content starts around 34:00 and ends 38:00 The conversation continues as they discusses C8 impressions. I stuck around for that and found it interesting.

·
Premium Member
6,775 Posts
Shorter gearing would be fine if they gave us a real tall 6th gear for the highway. Even on our S1, cruising at 2000 rpms at 75 would be fine. As it is stock we are at 2550-2600 and at 80 we are at ~2800++. Unnecessary. Even with the sport ratio gearbox, the jump from 4rth to 5th is excessive, yet minimal from 5th to 6th. I don't understand trannies well enough to know why they can't give us a real tall 6th gear that is for nothing but cruising the highway. That alone would jump almost every car made up a few mpg on the highway. The new ZF 8 speeds seem to be the first tranny I have expereineced to get ALL of this right.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts