The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Mrs. Couet here. I'm looking for a small, nice tent to travel with in our Elise.

We're dying to get in the car and just drive... Does anyone have a suggestion for a tent? I'd love to surprize my husband with one (hopefully that will leave room for me to bring some extra shoes ;)

All I can find so far are generic pos's...

Thanks

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
I have a Northface Bullfrog -- nice & cozy 2 person tent with rainfly. I've had it since 1985 and it's seen a lot of use and held up well. I don't think Northface makes that model any more but they have similar ones.

edit: just check REI... look at the Northface Tadpole

I bought the tent the day my Jeep was broken into and a lot of camping gear stolen. It was near the end of a two week camping trip through Arizona, Utah, and California (spent one night in Las Vegas hotel and one in San Jose motel -- site of the theft). We had be using a $50 JCPenney tent. My insurance covered replacement value -- $240 for the Bullfrog :D We camped at Big Sur the night 1st night and I had to set up camp in the dark... it was quick and easy... love that Bullfrog

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
unsolicited advice:

set it up and break it down several times before you take your trip. do it in the dark if possible. just get familiar with it before you need it.

·
Registered
9,273 Posts
How about a nice blue tarp? RacyTracy may be able to help :p.

I agree with Ace. Get very familiar with whatever you get before you really need it. Free standing is a plus also, IMHO.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
love the quote RoadDad... ;)

I'm focusing on a couple backpacking tents from REI - need to go there and see how small they pack up. I'd love to be able to fit it behind my seat.

I'll take the advice and practice the set up. A tarp would be easy...but it doesn't have any walls and some public areas require privacy to really enjoy your evening :nanner:

·
Registered
9,273 Posts
love the quote RoadDad... ;)
I just wonder which I'm better at :rolleyes:.

A tarp would be easy...but it doesn't have any walls and some public areas require privacy to really enjoy your evening :nanner:
Sorry. That blue tarp comment was an old -poke- from awhile ago involving several members (RacyTracy being the brunt of the -poke-).

If you're going to REI, I'd suggest you put the tents up there in the store, climb in, see how much room you have, how easy it is to put up/take down, etc. I worked at an REI when I was in college and loved getting to put stuff up in the store with customers. They walked out knowing exactly what they purchased and my "return rate" was nil.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts