The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heading off tomorrow on my first ever 'long' trip in my Elise.

Los Angeles to Phoenix starting tomorrow afternoon and then back on Sunday.

Previous to this, the longest single day I have had in the car was only about 200 miles total putting up and around canyons and back.

This will be about 400 miles one way and it's slated to be 115 degrees out in the desert.

Wish me luck! :)

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
Good luck - let us know how high your water temps indicate in the heat. Fans should switch on at 209 degrees +/-. If you keep moving, maybe you won't even get that hot. Curious. I'm betting it will be perfectly reliable.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
I'm betting it will be perfectly reliable.
yeah, as long as his oil line fittings or radiator or rear toe links dont fail...

:wave:

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
LA freeways are really rough, watch the bump at the state border check between Arizona and California. I have done this run, then cruised up the coast to SanFransisco. Oh, and pop your roof for better visibility for lane changes; don't be afraid to hang your head out a bit. Watch for the pidgeons near LA, I nailed one but did no damage to the car. Avoid Compton, the car is a thug magnet.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Twice this week I had to work down in Irvine and thus did rush hour traffic on the 405 for an hour every morning and an hour and a half every evening, bumper to bumper, and my temps stayed low and when it did hit 209 the fans did their job, so she should be fine.

When moving the car runs at about 189F.

The oil lines have been replaced already. Don't get me started on my ordeal with that.

I've got about 1500 miles of daily LA driving on the car with zero big problems so I should be good. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
When you get to phoenix

Pm me for my number and we can meet for so bs time!

·
Registered
104 Posts
It is supposed to not be as hot this weekend with some scattered showers; not even supposed to hit 100F here in Phoenix. I drove my Elise in 112F heat a couple weeks ago and my water temps cruising stayed in the 192-197F range. I would hit over 200F if I stopped.

I'd be in for an impromptu meet-up, just send me a PM.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
You'll be fine. I drove my Exige from San Diego to Laguna Seca, Infineon, Spring Mountain, Buttonwillow, etc. did multiple track days and returned home without incident. It's a real car. It can even handle rain, fog, nighttime, etc.

;)

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
AZ guys- wish I would have got your info before I left, but I don't know if I would have had time to meet up- spent most of the weekend under the influence laying in my buddy's pool.

So I'm back now and the car performed well. Temps on the highway were mostly constant at 189F. At some higher speeds or on inclines it would hit up to 192F but nothing more. In traffic on CA91 rolling along at 10MPH at one point the hottest it got was around 205. So, overall no problem with the heat.

Taking CA91 out to Riverside is some damn bumpy roads, and it takes 100% concentration to be able to do 80MPH in the carpool lane with lots of traffic and a 6 foot concrete wall with no shoulder 1 foot away from the driver's mirror.

The only hiccup I had with the car was the tachometer started getting off- I stopped for gas and it stayed at 5K rpm- with the engine off. I know the gauge cluster reset procedure so I did that and it eventually went back to zero. Then I started the car and .... it didn't move. No tach. I eventually found it was just reading low by about 5K rpm then.

I drove on and after a while it would bounce around, read 1K low, then 1K high, etc..

On my drive home it was reading about 2K low. Didn't see where it would up when I turned the car off.

I've had this happen before and usually resetting the cluster does the trick. It just seems like it is happening a lot now. It has to be internal to the cluster I've determined, as the mileage/trip odo and all other sensors are working fine, and the ECU still knows the real speed and RPM - shift light still comes on at appropriate RPM.

Other than that the car was a blast to drive and really not at all uncomfortable. We did without AC for the way out and used it about half the time on the way back. It is a rather noticeable MPG / HP drain to use the AC.

On the way out between LA and Blythe the car averaged 30 MPG. Pretty awesome.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
I've been on several multiday road trips in my 2009 Elise without any drama. I really like all the questions and attention the car gets. Glad to hear that the car performed well (apart from the tach).

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Got in the car this morning to go to work, tach is now accurate.

I like when things fix themselves.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts