The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone recommend some good roads that lead to the Cheyenne, Wyoming area? I'll be coming from the Midwest.

You know the ones... lots of curves and hills and scenery, not so many kopz. Starting in the Chicago area and heading to WY.

If you would like to keep special roads secret, feel free to PM me.

Thanks! :shift:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Some roads in Wyoming are spetacular. Unfortunately there are not any between Cheyenne and Nebraska. Most of the nice roads are in the Northwest part of the state by the Utah, Idaho and Montana borders. There is about 5 miles of the road (I 80) between Laramie and Cheyenne that is pretty nice. I think it is by Veedavou. The road from Laramie to Fort Collins, Colorado is nice (do not confuse this with between Cheyenne and Fort Collins - that road sucks). I have not ran the entire road but you may want to try the back roads from Laramie to Saratoga. PM me for more details.

·
Premium Member
498 Posts
Cheyenne Wyo. in feb. is NO place for a lotus trust me I used to live UP there, 6200 ft elevation, wicked snow storms blowing winds in excess of 50 mph. Laramie to saratoga
goes above 10,000 ft. and is closed this time of year.. under lots of snow. I would say june or july.

·
Registered
55 Posts
+1 on being very careful about the time of year you do this trip.

Having said that, highway 20 across northern Nebraska is pleasant enough. Just make sure to gas up in the 'larger' towns. The gas in the smaller towns has octane ratings that I've seen nowhere else (83-85 - something like that).
The Black Hills, South Dakota has some decent twisties. Needles Highway and Iron Mountain Road come immediately to mind.
While it's not on even a slightly interesting road, carhenge (near Alliance, NE) is, imo, more interesting and fun than stonehenge. Worth a trip if you're not terribly far away.

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cheyenne Wyo. in feb. is NO place for a lotus trust me I used to live UP there, 6200 ft elevation, wicked snow storms blowing winds in excess of 50 mph. Laramie to saratoga
goes above 10,000 ft. and is closed this time of year.. under lots of snow. I would say june or july.
Oops, forgot to mention: mid June.

T.

·
Registered
958 Posts
407Driver is correct - do not take a Lotus to Wyoming until summer. The weather there this time of year can be horrific.
+1
Drove between Colorado Springs and Salt Lake City on I80 many times. About 6 years ago, this time of the year, I drove for about 9 hours, going no faster than 45mph. VERY long day...

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
407Driver is correct - do not take a Lotus to Wyoming until summer. The weather there this time of year can be horrific.
Define summer...

When I lived in Cheyenne, the last snow fall usually happened around May 31th, and the first snowfall averaged around September 3rd or so. Seriously.

When we moved to Cheyenne, we took the Eisenhower tunnel from Aspen into Denver. Beautiful 70 degrees in Aspen, came out the other side into a snow storm. Encountered two tornadoes on the drive from Denver to Cheyenne (about 100 miles). This was on June 3rd.

The standard joke in Cheyenne was what do you do in Wyoming in the summer? If it happens on a Sunday, you go on a picnic.

You might be safe - form snow. Watch out for tornadoes and hail storms (at one car totaled from the hail damage while living there - the other survived because it was in the garage (with the Lotus).

·
Registered
44 Posts
At higher elevations it can snow all year. I have seen snow on July 4 in the Wind Rivers. I think of summer in Wyoming as being from Memorial Day to Labor Day.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
At higher elevations it can snow all year. I have seen snow on July 4 in the Wind Rivers. I think of summer in Wyoming as being from Memorial Day to Labor Day.
You do realize that Cheyenne is at 6,200 ft elevation? It goes up when you leave Cheyenne (unless you head to the "low lands" of Colorado). :D

·
Premium Member
498 Posts

T.
Sorry to jump on you so quick, Wyo. is the last most beautiful place in the US.
most of the great driving is done in northern Colo. try Cheyenne to Laramie to Fox Park down Rabbit Pass into Steam Boat Springs, southeast on 40 trough Rocky Mt. Nat. park and into Estes Park Colo. Never pass up a gas station in Wyo.
Have a great trip

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Never pass up a gas station in Wyo.
+1 It's hard for many people to imagine, but in Wyoming (and other parts of that area of the country), when you leave the city limits, you can drive for miles and miles and not see another car. Or even building. It can easily be 50 miles between towns (and gas, food, shelter, help). You need to be prepared when you are traveling through there. The weather can be very unpredictable.

But, yes, beautiful country side. Un-spoiled, and un-crowded. I could live there again if it was for the nine months of winter a year.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
Head south from Cheyenne to Ft. Collins, then west to the road around Horsetooth Reservoir. Watch out for us cyclists, though. We're all you might see, other than the beautiful scenery.

Tim's right about the weather. Year round, it's gorgeous about 90% of the time; then the other 10% it's trying to kill you. It's going to be 68 here this Saturday...then it's going to snow Sunday.

Tom

1 - 15 of 15 Posts