The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Assuming everything goes smoothly I'll be picking up my Evora in Atlanta this Saturday. :nanner: Its a lightly used Racing Green S with 2k miles.

The plan is to drive it home and be back in Jersey on Monday night. It will be a hell of a drive, google says it will take 21 hours and somewhere around 1000 miles.

You can see our route here: 2012 - Atlanta to Jersey City - Google Maps

We are hoping to hit the Cherahala Skyway, Tail of the Dragon, Smoky Mountain National Park, and Shenandoah National Park along the way, although we'll probably not have much time for stopping.

Any advice for the purchase inspection, roadtripping in an Evora, dealing with the lack of cup holders, or must see spots along the way?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Well you will have a blast driving it home! I bought mine in Florida and drove it back to Texas. Great car for long trips,the wife or I were not sore at all after driving each day! also it did great driving though epic rain storms along the way too!

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Hi Guys,

Assuming everything goes smoothly I'll be picking up my Evora in Atlanta this Saturday. :nanner: Its a lightly used Racing Green S with 2k miles.

The plan is to drive it home and be back in Jersey on Monday night. It will be a hell of a drive, google says it will take 21 hours and somewhere around 1000 miles.

You can see our route here: 2012 - Atlanta to Jersey City - Google Maps

We are hoping to hit the Cherahala Skyway, Tail of the Dragon, Smoky Mountain National Park, and Shenandoah National Park along the way, although we'll probably not have much time for stopping.

Any advice for the purchase inspection, roadtripping in an Evora, dealing with the lack of cup holders, or must see spots along the way?

Here's what I would check:

-Panels, wheels and trim for any paint scrapes or surface blemishes.
-Body gaps. Gaps should be even all the way around and adjacent surfaces level with each other
.Body panels --at no point should paint meet paint.
.Fluids compartment cover
.Doors (fore and aft edges)
.Fuel door
.A-pillar trims and glass
.Rear vent panel (above engine)
.Tailgate
.Spoiler (if it's uneven, can be adjusted by rotating rubber stops).
.Headlamps (should be even with the body).
-Metal grills on hood, side intakes, rear vent panel, and above diffuser Check if any of them are dented or crooked.
-Windshield for any chips or stress cracks near edges.
-Door and trunk latches. Ask if these are the improved latches, or if a TSB was done to fix the issues with the original latches.
-Door and window seals for loose or poorly installed areas. Seals along the bottom of the door sill should adhere nicely to the body, and all ends/corners should be tucked in under body panels, where applicable.
-Carpeting. Nothing loose, especially around foot well, including side walls.
-Interior trim Nothing loose, misaligned, or creaky.
-Hand brake operation. Button should be easy to press and it should lock the wheels after 4 or 5 clicks.
-Fuel door operation Trust me you don't want this to fail on a long trip back!
-Dash board, seats and other leather interior for tears, bubbles, blemishes
-Seat backs for any scuffs/scratches on the backside.
-AC operation. Should blow cold air almost immediately.
-Blinkers, Hazard, Headlights, High-beam operation. Push left stalk towards you, it should toggle high beams and click to lock. Also ensure beam is not pointing to the ground or too high. Stand about 30ft in front of the car with the lights on and lower your head to the level of the driver in front of you. It shouldn't blind you. Now squat all the way down. If it doesn't blind then the beam needs to be adjusted to point straight. From 30ft away, a sharp line where the light is should be seen no higher than 4ft off the ground.
-Windshield and headlamp washer operation
-Emergency trunk cable operation It's under the right passenger seat pad. Should disengage and retract easily. Mine binds a bit and needs to be coaxed back into lock position.
-Ensure you are not missing:
.Manuals
.Emergency alarm code tag
.Star lug key adapter and pouch with tow ring bolt.
.Fix-a-flat (should be in trunk tucked behind carpeting)
.Front license plate brackets (2 pieces, 1 plastic and one aluminum)
- All interior and exterior lights (dome, trunk, brakes, f/r markers, plate lights).
-Engine bay. Rear hose nearest to interior window tends to come loose.
-Check the head unit for issues, such as region restricted playback (bring a U.S. dvd)
-...and last but not least check the steering column (for clicking issue--there is a TSB on it.)

Anyway, good luck! Let us know how it goes!

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
To solve the lack of cup holders always buy the small size of coffee. That way you can drink it all at the coffee shop before you set out again.:up:

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Good news and sounds like a fun trip.

If you are not already a member, consider joining PALS (see signature)

·
Premium Member
2,171 Posts
That will be a nice drive. Watch out for deer, especially on the Skyline Drive.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
if you're driving it home be ready to adjust your headlights up, or have the dealership do it for you! seems about 50/50 whether they're too low from the factory or not

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Unless youre a professional driver on a closed course, obey all traffic laws. And a good radar detector in the windshield is a good visual reminder to check your speed now and then;)

·
Premium Member
6,752 Posts
Unless youre a professional driver on a closed course, obey all traffic laws. And a good radar detector in the windshield is a good visual reminder to check your speed now and then;)
Yes sherrif Roy

·
Registered
786 Posts
If you obey all traffic laws, then you really don't need a radar detector.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Have a great first road trip with your new Evora! BTW, you can use the grab handles in the door for a small drink like a can of soda, or small can red bull works great in here too. Please come back to the site and share your adventure with a few pics for us to see!

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the encouragement and tips! Squidward, that is so thorough a list I don't know if I'll manage to get through it all, but I'll try!

Being a new car to me and not knowing the roads, I'll definitely be following the traffic laws. :)

How do you adjust the headlights? Is it obvious? I won't be checking any luggage, so I won't be able to bring any tools with me.

Maybe I should grab a ContourHD before I leave. I have an older GoPro but the batteries are terrible.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I concur with Squidward on the list. Lot of stuff, but my elise was missing both the tow hook AND the wheel key even though the car was new--they had no idea what happened to them. Also, a quick warning, press the seller to disclose any flaws to you and then also underscore to the inspector. My wife and I bought 2 tickets to Vegas (one way) to pick up an Elise SC and drive it back to San Diego. Salesman picked us up, showed us the car and it had scratches all the way through the paint on one side like it had been driven through a bunch of rose bushes. He claimed he did not notice it. Inspector claimed it wasn't there when he inspected it. Your odds of this happening are pretty low, but I think if you "put the fear of god" into the salesman that you will be REALLY unhappy if make the trip and the car is not as promised may help. I went with an online inspection service (can't remember the name) and I would suggest you find a good local one maybe through a Lotus guy on the forum. In our case, the flights back were all booked so we spent the day at the airport until we finally got a couple of standby tickets. We did the same thing again when I actually bought an 08 SC from a dealer about 6 hours north of us. This time we took the train, spent the night at a nice place on the ocean and drove back the next day. A few things were missing and ultimately the battery failed after a few months because the car had sat for a long time, but overall we have a great time. Adventure is a good thing. I drove cross country twice in the early 90's from CA to IN by myself in a Miata. Did the 2nd trip in 3 days and that included dodging a tornado in Kansas--they were both very memorable. Have fun and good luck with the purchase.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
martinm1, are you saying you used an independent inspection service to purchase a new car? I never even thought of that.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Yes, the car had been sitting for almost 2 years. It was an 08 and I bought it in 2010. This was during the financial crisis and there were not a lot of cars like this moving.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts