The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Perry, are you talking about the sill protectors? The only problem is the plastic sills integrate with the dash, it might look strange having the pieces off.
Chris

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Lamin-x is selling it's film for the sills. They are precut and can be removed any time. takes about 5 minutes for install.

www.lamin-x.com

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
eliseowner2b said:
Lamin-x is selling it's film for the sills. They are precut and can be removed any time. takes about 5 minutes for install.

www.lamin-x.com
Have you seen them on the car? I'm curious to know how tightly they adhere to the sills. If I remember correctly, the plastic is knurled with an 'orange peel' kind of surface. It might be hard to get a sheet of film to stick without looking all splotchy.

Anyone tried it?

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Ill post some pics of mine if someone can put them on. I always get the "file too large" message.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Perry asked about leather sill (rocker) covers. I know what he is referring to and I am also keeping my eyes out for them. Any European folks know where to get them for the Elise?

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The stock plastic pieces look fairly tacky (not too bad)and cover up a large portion of the beautiful aluminum!
I want to expose the aluminum and get the leather pads for cornering thigh bracing and for the storage pockets...

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
perry, i can't seem to find those leather rocker panels online but i snapped a few pics of the protective film. Removing them would look strange as the dash would just end below the headlight buttons/storage compartments. It might work if someone cut the center of the rocker panel out to expose the aluminum but I'm not ready to dremel it. Chris, why don't you try it and let us know how it came out :D

Here's the template:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Here's the film. It's still wet here so it will loose some of it's reflection when dry. The whitish parts are just moisture that will dry up in a few days (or blow dryings)

Attachments

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
Is sill scuffing really that bad? Just wondering, because I have little desire to have the plastic sofa look! Maybe someone with more ingresses/egresses could take a picture of how they look after a while. Not convinced yet...the clear bra was already an adjustment.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Depends what kind of shoes you and your passengers wear.

Wooden soles might be a :no:

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
>>>Depends what kind of shoes you and your passengers wear.
Wooden soles might be a <<<

Yeah and that goes for crampons and spiked track, golf and other shoes like that...

Seriously the covers are reasonably rugged and clean up nicely with some vinyl treatment. Likely they can be replaced from time to time if need be. I wouldn't mind full leather covers which would take on a nice patina after a time.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Here's a pic of the eliseparts sill covers, look quite nice, I'm pretty happy with the US plastic tho. They take a heck of a beating unless as pictured your passenger is wearing crampons or golf shoes.

Chris

Attachments

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
I've had several people kick the rockers with some shoes that would have scratched it up had the protection not been on it. Leather would be nice but it looks a little odd to me. Could it be too luxurious?

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
I've had passengers scuff the plastic sills. I havent tried yet, but Im 99% sure I can just clean them and they'll look ok again. With that said, I think I may be in the market to cover these with the 3m stuff. Elise2B, where'd you get that?

Also, on that Laminex site it shows automotive sunscreen....has anyone used that? Does it work?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts