The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Sorry -- this is probably a limited interest question.

I have seen a number of "sport" optioned Elise cars fitted with a forward brace structure bolted into the roll bar.

On the Lotus site I see reference to a "FIA Approved" roll cage.

Being intrested in possible SCCA competiton -- I am wondering if the forward brace is the "FIA Cage" referenced or if there are multiple roll cage options???

My hope is the door brace and tub provide the side protection required. Called the SCCA national tech guys -- they are clueless.

Any info appreciated!!

John

·
Registered
495 Posts
There is a roll bar available (A-frame and diagonal cross bar to the passenger side) , which is FIA approved:

http://www.racecar.co.uk/kelvedonlotus/images/Image10.jpg

I belive this is pretty much the same as what Lotus provides for the S 190

I've also seen/heard of more extensive custom roll cages, which I think would be advisable for any serious wheel-to-wheel racing (as in the Lotus GT1).

I'll bet the guys at prototype racing would know more, as they have been tracking an exige for a while

http://www.prototyperacing.com/

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Will the stock Elise pass muster with groups like the BMW CCA as far as roll bar? Does the rear "A frame" act as a roll bar? I can't remember how it looked when I drove the 111S.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Unless BMW CCA has changed it's rules. I tried to run a caterham at their school. No go without an SCCA approved roll CAGE which include sidebars.

The pretty much just want to exclude open cars because of liability concerns. You might want to check www.roadfly.org a guy there, Dennis Palatov runs a lot of track days with his sport 190 he's pretty sharp. This subject has been discussed at some length recently over there.

Chris

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
More info

thanks guys--

Here is what I got from Lotus UK.

The FIA cage is a seperate one piece structure for the S1. (not sure on S2 but probably similar) The cage sells for approx $1500 USD.

Lotus UK believes the cage will not be required in club or track day use. (many clubs will accept the car with standard roll bar, stricter clubs will require the "Petty Bar" and cross brace. NASA is very likely to approve for their racing without the cage.

I am still working to determine if SCCA will allow car with Petty bracing but without FIA cage. Will advise if I find out more.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
I assume by standard roll bar you mean the manufacturer cross member behind the seats. What does a Petty bar look like? I sure hope the clubs in my area approve the Elise stock.

·
Registered
178 Posts
for Club/DE stuff a pretty standard requirement for open top cars is the broomtest check. Lay a broomstick across the opening above the drivers head with helmet. There must be at least 2" of room. If not, some sort of extension or hard top should be used. There also has to be enough bracing though that should not be a problem with the elise. (VIR requires a 4point rollbar on true convertables, I dont know what they will say about the elise though I have seen them run there before )

Scot

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
grudkin said:
There is a roll bar available (A-frame and diagonal cross bar to the passenger side) , which is FIA approved:

http://www.racecar.co.uk/kelvedonlotus/images/Image10.jpg

I belive this is pretty much the same as what Lotus provides for the S 190

Yes, but for the S1/Exige...

This does *not* fit the S2 as it has a lower rollbar (the S1 'A' frame would not fit under it) and a different diameter/construction rollbar.

For the S2 (and probably the federal elise) AFAIK there currently is only one being sold by Lotus Motorsport.

Installation is tricky though as on the S2 the rear window surround is glued onto the rollbar, so some significant cutting and modifying is required to fit the top clamp.

(on the S1 you just remove the rear window and it's surround, remove the roll bar cover and it's completely free)

Bye, Arno.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Thanks for the information, Arno.

I guess the choices will be to try to get one from Lotus Motorsport, or to have one custom made.

I hope the factory will come up a roll bar as an available 'option' (as some have suggested will be the case)

·
Registered
55 Posts
I am not completely sure, but I think Pat Thomas sells a full roll cage (full in terms of side bars, fronts coming down along the window frame and THROUGH the dash down in the sill)

I'm sure he does this cage for the S1 and AFAIK he was developing for the S2.

As mentioned before, no real need for such a bullet proof solution when doing trackdays on a regular basis. The standard construction is very well capable of handling the impact you don't want it to handle.

In terms of real race series, I'd suggest to get yourself such a cage. Then again, you might also opt for an S1 as importing and S1 and converting it into a race monster will be a lot cheaper then buying a new S2 and starting to cut in that..

Also.. please keep in mind that the S2 clamshells are made from a special kind of high pressure molded polyester instead of the classic glassfiber of the S1.
Certainly when racing the car, you might have to do some quicky GRP repairs on a clamshell. These repairs are no problem on S1 clamshells, but a nightmare on the S2 clams..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts