The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 146 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those who may be interested, here's a link to the details of Ronin's new turbo build (apparently S/C's are for schoolgirls :D )

As this thread is really just a placeholder with a link at the moment, so you guys have something to chat about, here's the pics of the build thus far...

Attachments

·
Registered
454 Posts
For those who may be interested, here's a link to the details of Ronin's new turbo build (apparently S/C's are for schoolgirls :D )

As this thread is really just a placeholder with a link at the moment, so you guys have something to chat about, here's the pics of the build thus far...
That would be really funny if Frank actually said “superchargers are for girls”. He has been such a large advocate of them for so long, even paying other companies to do additional development work so recently and is now switching.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Honestly it looks kind of crappy. Maybe it’s just the picture quality.

·
Registered
186 Posts
A 52lb turbo on a 1.8l four?... should make for a great dyno queen or drag car. I wonder how many radiators this one is gonna have???
Disgrace it's going on a Lotus.
Damn shame...

·
Registered
186 Posts
Lotus has a car running a similar ratio, i don't think they're that disgraced.
Anymore details...
What size turbo? What size motor?
thanks.

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
I forget the model number, apparently they're running them with good success on the 2zz.

i'm sure if its bad, i'll be hearing all about it.

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
Anymore details...
What size turbo? What size motor?
thanks.
its one of their hush hush projects, which they have many of, the biggest one i know of is 400HP.
there are various configurations of it, the ecotec would be one of them.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Is it a turbonetics turbo? Looks non watercooled....ball bearing? Anyway that turbo looks a little on the large and laggy side, but I could be wrong.
I think it is a ForcedPerformance GT30, a 52lb turbo. Certainly a large turbo for the motor. I suspect there'll be nothing much going on below 5K, and response may be a little slow... but I could also be wrong.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That would be really funny if Frank actually said “superchargers are for girls”. He has been such a large advocate of them for so long, even paying other companies to do additional development work so recently and is now switching.
That is pretty much a direct quote -- Frank's hilarious, and yes, he's well aware of the irony of him saying that :D

·
Registered
454 Posts
I think it is a ForcedPerformance GT30, a 52lb turbo. Certainly a large turbo for the motor. I suspect there'll be nothing much going on below 5K, and response may be a little slow... but I could also be wrong.
I did some comparisons and a few calculations considering turbo charging using a GT30R (and modified motor 9:1 comp). I predict that in just over 3500 rpm you will see the same amount of horsepower you would get from a katana modified, stock motor elise. And as your engine speed increases you will obviously see the turbo vehicle do even better. Although it will feel laggy compared to its max output I would think provided the turbo stay spooled the vehicles overall performance would still be just as good if not better. Although the drivers feel and the usability of the system is more opinionated I would have some good hopes for this setup in both drag racing and autocross.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
On a 2.0L Evo engine using a GT3076 turbo, most people hit full boost around 3800-4000RPM doing 3rd gear pulls. Since the Elise engine is not much smaller, mebbe similar spool up characteristics??

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I did some comparisons and a few calculations considering turbo charging using a GT30R (and modified motor 9:1 comp). I predict that in just over 3500 rpm you will see the same amount of horsepower you would get from a katana modified, stock motor elise. And as your engine speed increases you will obviously see the turbo vehicle do even better. Although it will feel laggy compared to its max output I would think provided the turbo stay spooled the vehicles overall performance would still be just as good if not better. Although the drivers feel and the usability of the system is more opinionated I would have some good hopes for this setup in both drag racing and autocross.
Maybe, but there will be considerably more torque available :D

Ah, just wait and see. If it doesn't offer a good, broad power band, Frank will be the first to to admit it, and he'll sell it off and try something else -- he wants a balls-to-the-wall road car, not a dyno queen.

·
00 MRS - 2ZZ NA
1,228 Posts
NewCelica.org Forum - View Single Post - I want my Smaay Big Boy

I'm gonna leave most of the **** to the guys I respect, it's been a few years since I ****ed with turbos, all sortsa new superwazoo stuff out now....... I'm ready to pay to play instead of rippin my knuckels off again.......

anyway superchargers are for school girls
rotfl

its a shame the rotrex / twin screw didnt work out that had way more appeal to me than turbos :(
Give it time bro, give it time. ;)

We've tried the 3076..3037...custom 3076/2871 setups and all of them delivered less than desirable power bands(at least for track use) and we eventually settled on the 2871 with a .64 in a t25 housing.
Such was my suggestion. Even if it spools only a little bit worse than the biggest GT28 variant, it may offer a flatter torque curve than a freakin wall like Smaay's setup. I'm sure a multistep boost controller can fix some of this though.

·
Registered
822 Posts
The GT30R variant we originally discussed is a good choice. I don't know enough about the GTKs to say for sure. But Frank has head work and cams, and the manifold is a nice design - hes going to have a hellacious torque curve from 4000 clear through to probably 8750 / 9000 RPM. For a canyon carver I think its going to rock.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
going to a turbo from a supercharger could only mean he wants to make more power much more efficiently than a SC would...i personally think its great and hope it works out well, always dreamed of having a little elise/exige smoke lp640's and 430s alike :D

·
00 MRS - 2ZZ NA
1,228 Posts
The GT30R variant we originally discussed is a good choice. I don't know enough about the GTKs to say for sure. But Frank has head work and cams, and the manifold is a nice design - hes going to have a hellacious torque curve from 4000 clear through to probably 8750 / 9000 RPM. For a canyon carver I think its going to rock.
Which GT30 variant is he going with? When tuning past 500 whp for the first time on the 2zz, MWR says the R variant spooled right before 5,000 rpm instead of right before 4,000 rpm with their old GT30 variant:

First 2ZZ over 500whp - NewCelica.org Forum

EDIT: It seems later in the thread, after more tuning, MWR was able to spool over 20 psi at 4,000 rpm with the bigger turbo, and it being in a 0.82 housing to boot...hmmm...

1 - 20 of 146 Posts