The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK - so maybe Frank didn't invent urethane, but his posts along the web sure got me to thinking. This weekend I finally pulled the mounts and filled with S-80 Urethane. Really a simple process.

And truly a great result.

My steps:

Remove mounts.

Roughen rubber with dremel/drill.

Clean with Acetone.

Dry with high heat and heat gun.

Tape up one side with packing tape (3") - make sure it is sealed well.

Mix 6 oz. of urethane. Mix thoroughly. Don't rush, you have plenty of working time.

Prop up and level mounts on bench over newspaper or other disposable masking. Pour urethane into mounts. I used a heat gun on low setting to help urethane flow. Let dry. I set the temp in the shop at 80 degrees to insure good results. After 6 hours I moved the mounts into the oven, cooked at 180 degrees for a couple of hours, then just shut the oven off. Left the mounts in overnight. Reinstalled in the morning - elapsed time about 20 hours.

Trust me - this is a worthwhile and simple mod. Test drive today and all I can say is it tightens things up...and improves shifter feel. I had the undertrays off for fluid changes and some other maintenance, so it was the perfect time to do it. Tools needed to pull mounts (after diffuser/trays are pulled): 8mm, 10mm, 13mm, 14mm, 15mm and 17mm sockets (standard and deep) along with same in ratcheting wrenches if you have 'em.

YMMV.

WW

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
EDIT/UPDATE: After a little over a year using Ronin's suggestion, my mounts have FAILED. The urethane is cracking and falling apart. AJ has reported the same issue. I would suggest to everyone who did his mod to check your mounts ASAP.

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
This is a good mod, did it about a year ago. Not to hijack, but I have an extra Devcon Urethane kit if anyone is interested.
I'm interested Dave..how much?

I have the Forced Fed solution.. I wonder how they compare and or would be work even better together

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Personally, I've noticed no additional vibration. In fact - IMHO - this is a *free* mod (no negatives). Of course, I like it a little rough in the Exige...so what do I know :D

WW

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
wildwhl, the mounts that you refer to...are they the two upper ones located on each side of the engine? Per the Exige parts manual, it looks like the two lower mounts (front and back of engine bay) consist of bushings, and the two upper ones are rubber.

Also per the parts manual, the passenger side upper mount (passenger side) looks sort of like a rubber Dairy Queen cone (for lack of better description), but I couldn't get enough schematic detail on the driver's side mount. Being that I am at work right now, I have not yet looked at the engine compartment of my car to check out the mounts.

Is the above description correct? Also, where did you buy the urethane kit? Was it Devcon Flexane 80 Putty?

Thanks. This sounds like a fairly straight forward mod. :clap:

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
you are looking for the two mounts under the car for and aft of the motor. Leave the upper mounts alone.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Thanks...that helps a lot. Never had the lower mounts off the car before.

Did you use Devcon Flexane 80 Putty (1 lb. package)?

·
Registered
2008 Exige S240
3,045 Posts
Forced Fed engine damper: is this comparable to the urethane solution?

I have the FF engine damper.
The damper really firms things up as well.
Would filling the mounts with urethane and
using the damper be overkill?
Would one negate the other?
-Robert:shrug:

·
Registered
3,577 Posts

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
1 - 20 of 46 Posts