The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Texas based Ronn Motor Company (RMC) has unveiled the Scorpion sportscar that runs on a 30-40 percent blend of hydrogen and gasoline, promising reduced emissions and 40 mpg plus efficiency.

Ronn Motor Company is well on its way to proving that efficiency can be delivered to the automobile consumer without giving up performance or styling. The Company unveiled the key to a new generation of “green cars” by revealing the nuts and bolts of what it expects will help drive down consumers’ cost to travel the highways with on demand hydrogen production.

The new car, now in pre-production, is called the “Scorpion,” and the Company plans for it to be available to consumers this fall. The hydrogen delivery system with dual computer processor controls produces hydrogen on demand, and in real time, which will be inducted through the air intake manifold and blended with gasoline at a ratio of 30-40 percent hydrogen, according to Maxwell. The fuel for this system is derived from fracturing water molecules drawn from a small on board water tank, and will not require a high pressure, on board hydrogen storage tank or hydrogen fueling station.

“What we are revealing today is an innovation in the automotive industry and demonstrates American ingenuity at a time of real need,“ says Ronn Motor Company’s Chief Executive Officer Ronn Maxwell. “We’re designing and building cars with performance components and unique styling with the objective of making the new environmentally friendly vehicle stand out with never before seen style and approximately 40 mpg plus efficiency,” he adds.

Most of the hydrogen powered vehicles use fuel cells. Hydrogen is pumped into a tank in the car, just as gasoline. The hydrogen gas is then fed into the fuel cell where it is electrochemically converted into electricity--with no combustion, no moving parts and no emissions other than water vapor. The electricity is used to power the vehicle.

The Scorpion takes another approach – known as hydrogen internal combustion engine (Hydrogen ICE). Hydrogen ICE vehicles use a regular combustion engine modified to use gaseous hydrogen instead of liquid gasoline (much like a natural gas vehicle is modified). They burn hydrogen or a combination of gasoline and hydrogen, but since there is no carbon in hydrogen, there are no or almost no CO2 emissions and only trace amounts of NOx (oxides of nitrogen). Hydrogen ICE vehicles are typically about 30-50% more efficient than comparable gasoline vehicles.

The Scorpion is powered by an Acura V-Tech, V-6, Type S, 3.5 Liter power-plant with a close ratio six-speed transmission. RMC plans to offer the Scorpion with a 6-speed manual, with a 6-speed automatic coming available in 2009.

For the on-board hydrogen system RMC has partnered with Hydrorunner.

Ronn Motor Company, located in the Texas Hill Country west of Austin, was founded by Maxwell and former Dell, Inc. Executive Adrian Pylypec of Austin, who is Vice President for the Company.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
I like it...

On a serious note, where do you get the Hydrogen? Ive seen a couple of Civics in town with Hydrogen stickers on them.

Looks to be on the cheap side...near kit car.

As Borat would say...Very Nice, How Much!!

·
Registered
90 Posts
A couple of questions:
1. How much does it cost; and,
2. What are the performance specifications?
Very nice looking machine!

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Looking at the parts on their website...its going to be beaucoup $$.

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
150K.

You get the hydrogen from a 1.5 gallon tank of water in the car.

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Green Auto Startup Shows Off Hydrogen-Powered “Scorpion” « Earth2Tech

The race to get green cars to market continues to heat up. Today brought details of the Scorpion, an “eco-exotic” sports car with an on-board hydrogen generator made by Ronn Motor Co. The Austin, Texas-based company says it hopes to have the first production Scorpion, which will cost $150,000, on the road by October, and to build 190 more over the next year. And Ronn Motor is getting ready to develop its second-generation vehicle, likely a four-door sedan, in the next six months, VP Adrian Pylypec tells Earth2Tech.

Ronn appears to be taking a page out of the books of Tesla and Fisker: Launching a high-end, high-concept sexy sportscar and then, after grabbing lots of media attention and working out the kinks, incorporating the technology into a more consumer-friendly sedan. “I’m honored to be mentioned in the same sentence as Telsa and Fisker,” Pylypec says.

The Scorpion burns a mix of gasoline and hydrogen in its combustion engine. Regular tap water is split into hydrogen with electricity from two batteries that are charged by an oversized alternator. The hydrogen is produced by the G3 unit of Hydrorunner;, which makes on-demand hydrogen system available for retrofit into existing cars. A dual-processor computer will manage the flow and ratio of hydrogen, keeping the fuel at around 30-40 percent hydrogen, Ronn says.

Funding-wise, the company has taken in an undisclosed of private investment. Shares of Ronn started trading on the OTC Bulletin Board last week; the company hopes to get an IPO underwritten a year from now.

Founder and CEO Ronn Maxwell, previously designed a new A/C system for Porsche’s 911, worked with large Chinese bus manufacturer Zhonda and as well as with Amos Minter, the famous bodywork designer of the imitable 1955-57 Thunderbirds.

Currently the company only has just eight employees, but does have several operable pre-production prototypes. But as production moves ahead, Pylypec says they’ll have 20 employees in a month and 40-45 come October. Currently the company is in the “shakeout stage,” Pylypec says, as the last few tweaks are made to the prototypes before heading into production. From our experience with Tesla, we know the shakeout stage can take longer than expected. We’ll see if Ronn’s new Scorpion gets stung.

·
Registered
847 Posts
150K.

You get the hydrogen from a 1.5 gallon tank of water in the car.
Interesting you can use "water from a pond." Kinda reminds me of back to the future and "Mr. Fusion." Just throw it in there and flush out any gunk with the next oil change. So presumably if you are making the hydrogen as you motor about you aren't really storing an unsafe amount on board?

The car looks tremendous... the website is in need of help. Hopefully they update that before trying to woo people into buying it.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Not sure if anyone noticed, but the Hydrorunner technology that they are using in the car can be retrofit to any gas car out there...might have to think about one of these for the Sequioa!! Double the gas mileage would be nice.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Says 450 HP for the turbo version. The specs make it look like an above average performer!

·
Registered
3 Posts
What's up?

I have a lot more pictures of the Scorpion at my website. HERE. The reason I stopped by is I'm looking for opinions on the style of the car. I'm always looking for ways to improve & see what I overlooked.

So, I'm looking for some "design analysis" and no you don't have to be an artist (or even a car guy) to tell me "Hey, I think this area could improve" or "I love this, don't change it!" So tell me, what do you like, dislike, think should never be changed, think could be better?

Thanks!
- Jonathan Griffin

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
What's up?

I have a lot more pictures of the Scorpion at my website. HERE. The reason I stopped by is I'm looking for opinions on the style of the car. I'm always looking for ways to improve & see what I overlooked.

So, I'm looking for some "design analysis" and no you don't have to be an artist (or even a car guy) to tell me "Hey, I think this area could improve" or "I love this, don't change it!" So tell me, what do you like, dislike, think should never be changed, think could be better?

Thanks!
- Jonathan Griffin
Welcome Jonathan! I think the car is beautiful. Like others, I'd love to see performance #'s. Very curious about down force and weight.

A couple of design comments, all my personal opinion so take with a large grain of salt. Again, stunning. Aesthetically, I'd personally like to see something more visually substantial in the roll hoop area, perhaps enclosing the hoops. Not sure if and how that would compromise aero. Second, the lines of the car are clean and flow quite nicely. Unfortunately, my eyes are being drawn to the shark fin venting on the front bonnet (?). I'd personally prefer mesh, which would be much more elegant. Something about the headlight design is bothering me a bit - maybe if both lights were "connected." As it is now, it looks like two sets of eyes, which just feels "off." And if you must do chrome, please, black chrome.

Other than that, awesome! :up: I want one. Question - is the hydrogen conversion process real time, or does it need a reserve built up?

·
Super Moderator
5,454 Posts
Great looking car!

But getting hydrogen from an onboard water tank using electrolysis is just complete rubbish
Ronn Motor Company Site said:
Hydrogen Fuel Injection (HFI):
Produces hydrogen during vehicle operation through electrolysis of water using the power generated from the vehicles electrical system. A small amount of hydrogen added to the vehicles intake air/fuel mixture allows the engine to operate with less fossil fuel. Ronn Motor Company will use this technology in its revolutionary Scorpion to achieve lower emissions and vastly improved fuel economy
In english this translates as:
"We take electricty generated by the 25% efficient ICE, use that at ~70% efficiency to liberate hydrogen from water, we add this to the ICE and recover it at about 25% efficiency (so we are now at ~5% of the original energy contained in the petrol) and voila - the car is now vastly more efficient!"
Sorry - but that is the description of perpetual energy.

Ronn Motor Co is either naive or a scam (or both) with a good looking car.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
We did some work on hydrogen supplementing gasoline combustion when I worked at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory back in the '70's. We produced hydrogen-rich gases by catalytically breaking down some of the gasoline, using waste heat from the engine exhaust.

The point was to be able to run much leaner than possible with gasoline alone. This reduced combustion temperatures, dramatically reducing NOx emissions, and improved engine efficiency.

--Joe

·
Super Moderator
5,454 Posts
We did some work on hydrogen supplementing gasoline combustion when I worked at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory back in the '70's. We produced hydrogen-rich gases by catalytically breaking down some of the gasoline, using waste heat from the engine exhaust.

The point was to be able to run much leaner than possible with gasoline alone. This reduced combustion temperatures, dramatically reducing NOx emissions, and improved engine efficiency.

--Joe
Sounds promising! How much efficiency did you gain?

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Welcome Jonathan! I think the car is beautiful. Like others, I'd love to see performance #'s. Very curious about down force and weight.

A couple of design comments, all my personal opinion so take with a large grain of salt. Again, stunning. Aesthetically, I'd personally like to see something more visually substantial in the roll hoop area, perhaps enclosing the hoops. Not sure if and how that would compromise aero. Second, the lines of the car are clean and flow quite nicely. Unfortunately, my eyes are being drawn to the shark fin venting on the front bonnet (?). I'd personally prefer mesh, which would be much more elegant. Something about the headlight design is bothering me a bit - maybe if both lights were "connected." As it is now, it looks like two sets of eyes, which just feels "off." And if you must do chrome, please, black chrome.

Other than that, awesome! :up: I want one. Question - is the hydrogen conversion process real time, or does it need a reserve built up?
Just take a flat black spray can to it and all that stuff goes away

1 - 20 of 44 Posts