The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
473 Posts
Whoa but total fail since the eject seat didnt work.....

·
Premium Member
1,355 Posts
Weird the hat does not move! I have lost 3 hats with top off at high speeds.

·
Registered
855 Posts
It is a total fake in front of a green screen. He passes cars and truck on left and right that never show up in the rear window. Someone had fun making it. You are right about the hat too. Windows up and top flies off but not a hair on his head or the hat move. Totally in a studio. Amusing though.... :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
420 Posts
It is a total fake in front of a green screen. He passes cars and truck on left and right that never show up in the rear window. Someone had fun making it. You are right about the hat too. Windows up and top flies off but not a hair on his head or the hat move. Totally in a studio. Amusing though.... :ROFLMAO:
What cars dont go past in the rear view? I see all of them. Also his hair does move when it first comes off.

Seems pretty legit. You can see reflections in the carbon and other parts, then the roof tumbling in the background (in a realistic way).

Though I know nothing about the quality of greenscreen and cgi but its not even this good in Fast and the Furious!

·
Registered
7,078 Posts
A buddy had his blow off on back straight of Road Atlanta.

Only four small bolts hold it on. I guess they just vibrate loose.

·
Registered
952 Posts
7 bolts. Looks like he didn't have the front 'trim' piece installed, which appears to be a factor every time you hear about this happening.
I agree, looks like the front trim piece is missing. Even though it was probably not designed to be structural, I think the front trim piece does more to hold the roof on than any of the other fasteners.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
I agree, looks like the front trim piece is missing. Even though it was probably not designed to be structural, I think the front trim piece does more to hold the roof on than any of the other fasteners.
This....the windscreen header trim keeps the front from lifting. Without it, you are relying soley on the spigot bracket's pins that can easily be pulled out under force.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Lol. I spent 9 years as a computer graphics engineer. That's not CG. Note the shading and exposure on his face before/after the top blows off. Even very, very good CG artists couldn't nail that without some sort of camera trick.

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
It doesn't look so bad in the pictures. But it's tore up pretty good and warped. It kinda fits on still. But I think I will go with a carbon fiber replacement.

hilarious people think it's fake. I assure you my pain is real. :)

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It doesn't look so bad in the pictures. But it's tore up pretty good and warped. It kinda fits on still. But I think I will go with a carbon fiber replacement.

hilarious people think it's fake. I assure you my pain is real. :)

View attachment 1262595 View attachment 1262596
Thanks for following up and showing us this. Crazy that you have it all recorded! Thankfully, no one was injured and a wreak wasn’t caused!

Just to be clear, you didn’t have the 3 bolt front trim piece in place? I’ve actually taken my car out once or twice whiteout it but never on the highway. If this was the case I would stress the importance of that piece being installed every time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Thanks for following up and showing us this. Crazy that you have it all recorded! Thankfully, no one was injured and a wreak wasn’t caused!

Just to be clear, you didn’t have the 3 bolt front trim piece in place? I’ve actually taken my car out once or twice whiteout it but never on the highway. If this was the case I would stress the importance of that piece being installed every time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Honestly, I didn't even know that was a thing. My car didn't come with that piece.

From the looks of the damage, the front right latch wasn't pushed in when it was bolted. The back pieces are damaged so those definitely were latched in because they're all ripped up. Will have to find replacement parts for those before I can put a new roof on.

Don't be in a hurry, kids! Double check the roof!

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Damn! I had heard of it happening here and there, but never really understood how that could happen. Now I get it. Good thing you did'nt overreact . Sucks your top is messed up. I would be stunned by the loss of one of those transparent roof. my god that would be gut wrentching and yes, I might require therapy myself if such misfortune!

·
Registered
420 Posts

·
Registered
855 Posts
I take back what I said and sorry for your loss. I've learned an important lesson by this. I will always put in my trim piece. Sometimes I throw the roof on and don't bother but I will now. Again, sorry for doubting you...

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
I take back what I said and sorry for your loss. I've learned an important lesson by this. I will always put in my trim piece. Sometimes I throw the roof on and don't bother but I will now. Again, sorry for doubting you...
It's all good! It's definitely a lesson learned. I don't think I will be doing that again anytime soon. :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts