The Lotus Cars Community banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
My CF hardtop didn’t make use of the trim piece. I was hoping I could just add three rivnuts and use the stock trim piece, but the shape isn’t right (the undersurface is different from stock). So I’m just finishing an aluminum bracket at the center front, held by two M5 bolts (and rivnuts in the CF), plus some 3M double sided tape on the bracket face. The bracket (bent al plate) extends under the windshield header. It’s actually done, I just want to get it powder coated. I don’t know if it’s needed for this top, but it can’t hurt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
674 Posts
I had that happen once. I had a 300z with t-tops and I forgot to tighten down the passenger side. Right about the time I was wondering what the fluttering sound was it flew off and almost took out a poor guy walking down the sidewalk. It was glass and metal and would have done some serious damage.

The glass did not break so I bent the metal back into shape and continued using it!

Roy

·
Registered
9 Posts
It is a total fake in front of a green screen. He passes cars and truck on left and right that never show up in the rear window. Someone had fun making it. You are right about the hat too. Windows up and top flies off but not a hair on his head or the hat move. Totally in a studio. Amusing though.... :ROFLMAO:
Not even close to a fake! He's part of ULOCO (Utah Lotus Owners Coalition) and also on the LOG 40 organizing committee. He drove his car in last Saturday's exotic car run. The roof did a little damage to its front attachment points when it ripped off.

·
Registered
983 Posts
That very nearly happened to me on my way home from the track in my Exige. I had an aftermarket composite full mohawk roof and one of the bolt holes was a bit off and was a poor fit. Over the course of the day the bolt must have worked its way loose. On my drive home I noticed the front edge of the roof bouncing and starting to lift off the car. When I pulled into a gas station I realize the passenger side front bolt wasn't even there anymore and had fallen off completely. I used racers tape to tape the leading edge of the roof to the top of the windshield. Fortunately, covering that gap and the normal airflow over the roof was enough to keep the roof stable until I got home and replaced the bolt with a longer one.

·
Registered
9 Posts
It is a total fake in front of a green screen. He passes cars and truck on left and right that never show up in the rear window. Someone had fun making it. You are right about the hat too. Windows up and top flies off but not a hair on his head or the hat move. Totally in a studio. Amusing though.... :ROFLMAO:
Absolutely not a fake! He's part of Utah Lotus Owners Coalition (ULOCO) and is on the LOG 40 committee. He had his Elise out at the exotic car drive last Saturday. When the roof came off it damaged the front attachment points.

·
Registered
106 Posts
A friend of mine put three of us in his C4 Corvette. I was lying down in the rear compartment, mostly unable to look in any direction but up and back. As we pulled onto the freeway, we discovered that he had failed to bolt down the roof panel. I think the car was up to about 50 mph when the roof lifted up and off. From where I was, I could see it fly up, come down on a corner, fall flat to the ground, and then get run over my a car. If the car behind us had been a little closer, it would have come down on that car.

The roof was tweaked a bit, but could be installed on the car. However, a big piece of it had been broken out when the car ran over it. That was a $1500 (in 1986 money) mistake.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts