The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was perusing Larry's Lotus Photoblog thread, and came across this picture:

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f23/larrys-lotus-photoblog-5-a-97819/index228.html#post3293002

Correct me if i'm wrong, but it appears like they have made an intercooler intake scoop on the roof (a la Exige S) of their race Evora. I believe people have mentioned on this board before of trying to brainstorm an intercooler to maximize supercharger power and reduce heat, but giving up due to space issues.

Anyone have an idea of how they've pulled this off? Website is unfortunately not in English.

Also, the carbon fiber bits....:drool:

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
There are lots of things you do when you convert a street car to a dedicated race car that are not applicable or practical for a road car.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fair enough, but it would be interesting to see what they did and how they did it if they were somehow able to squeeze in an intercooler and air intake.

IIRC, one of the main limitations on squeezing more power out of the stock supercharger setup on the S is the heat generation and lack of intercooler, hence our low boost PSI. If the race version of the intercooler/intake (assuming that's what it is) can be adapted to a street version, I'm sure a lot of S owners would jump all over it.

Ever since seeing the RLS intercooler/intake setup for the Exige S, i've been dying for something similar on the Evora S.

·
Registered
216 Posts
As far as I know the Evora race cars are running 4.0L n/a Cosworth variants of our engines so this is likely not am intercooler duct

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
The only one currently working on an intercooler is, to my knowledge, Komotec. A 5cm thick water cooled unit to be placed between the compressor and the manifold below.
But, I haven't seen it yet and then there is the issue of limited potential of the compressor itself.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Was perusing Larry's Lotus Photoblog thread, and came across this picture:

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f23/larrys-lotus-photoblog-5-a-97819/index228.html#post3293002

Correct me if i'm wrong, but it appears like they have made an intercooler intake scoop on the roof (a la Exige S) of their race Evora. I believe people have mentioned on this board before of trying to brainstorm an intercooler to maximize supercharger power and reduce heat, but giving up due to space issues.

Anyone have an idea of how they've pulled this off? Website is unfortunately not in English.

Also, the carbon fiber bits....:drool:
This scoop is for interior/driver cooling, developed for endurance racing, think Dubai. Lotus Motorsports part that is very well engineered and I might add quite necessary, racing and tracking in high temperatures in the Evora interior gets quite warm.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
This scoop is for interior/driver cooling, developed for endurance racing, think Dubai. Lotus Motorsports part that is very well engineered and I might add quite necessary, racing and tracking in high temperatures in the Evora interior gets quite warm.
Seems like ambient air at 100+ would not be very effective in cooling the interior :rolleyes:.
Maybe a driver's cool suit is what they really need.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Seems like ambient air at 100+ would not be very effective in cooling the interior :rolleyes:.
Maybe a driver's cool suit is what they really need.
You would think that but… There is not much air that moves in the Evora cockpit, even with no windows. At Spring Mountain with ambient air temp at 98F after six laps 3.? mile config the interior temp was 128F. While racing in LCUSA at Thunderhill 104F ambient temp after 11 laps of the 3.0 mile config. the drivers footwell area on my Evora measured 170F. Even with a cool suit 100F outside air would help cool the cockpit/driver down IMHO.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Soooo y hasn't anybody put an intercooler in the trunk yet ?? They could cut out and put mesh where the "L O T U S" letters are for air flow on the rearr bumper place the intercooler directly infront of it,and put some kind of scoop on the trunk and even side of bumper or clam with ducting going tto intercooler ,it's not like we need trunk lol

·
Registered
824 Posts
I mean, most of us use our trunk. You probably could, but you still need a charge cooler that will actually fit between the SC and the intake. The challenge isn't so much the exchanger, which could go just about anywhere. I believe for the Evora 400 they modified the chassis so that the engine sits lower in order to make the charge cooler fit.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I think the 400 intercooler is fed horizontally from the side and flows down from there, look how much further towards the rear of the engine bay the supercharger is.

·
Vendor
6,306 Posts
It's for cooling the interior. It's probably the coolest thing to ever be invented next to the wheel or a lightbulb. I've got one for my car and we have installed on a race car. It's a lot of $$$ but the amount air that scoop moves into the interior is amazing! I'll see if I can find some pics later...

-Phil

·
Vendor
6,306 Posts
Ah... missed that lotusenv already answered... nevertheless, here are a couple pics on an elise...

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts