The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever used it? How is it, does it work?

·
Not the admin anymore
11,953 Posts
Learning Japanese??

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, been trying for years now, know a lot of words but can't put them into sentences :p

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
My buddy learned German with Rosetta. His gf was German so she would re-enforce what he studied. After about a year of using Rosetta at least 3 times a week and speaking with his gf…he became fluent.

I’m working on learning another language as well. I would say that having someone re-enforce what you learned in the course will be the key to success.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
855 Posts
Recently, at work, they gave us free access to Rossetta Stone. I have used it a little but don't have much time. They show you 4 pictures then pronounce a word or sentence. You click on the right one.

It is OK and seems like it would be effective. It would help to have a "little" knowledge of the language you are learning. When you don't know which word is which it can get confusing. Guess I would have to use it more to really give a better review.

I agree that having a native speaker as a friend, or living in the country, would be the best case to learn and be fluent.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I sold this software for 1 year out of Newark Airport. I had many many happy customers. Can you use it to HELP you learn a language? YES!

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
The website has a demo, but I'm sure you have tried that, Mopho.

I used a set of CDs called "Learn xxx in Your Car" to learn some Italian. It was okay, somewhat mindless but perfect for halfway focusing on it while driving.

Don't forget your local community college if you have time for an evening course.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I don't think that it is a great as some make it out to be.

The biggest failing is with verb conjugation. In order to properly learn this you may want to a verb workbook as a supplement.

You may want to look int Fluenz. Never used it myself but I think that it uses more traditional means.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I use it everyday. Love it.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I tend to learn the most when I am in Japan, and I use what I know all the time, but would like to be able to converse more.

RS is really expensive, which is sort of good because I would be more likely to stick with it (but bad because I don't want to spend that kind of money), but sounds like there is a really good return policy too.

Good to hear that there is some truth in their claims

·
Registered
807 Posts
baka mon! nihongo o hanashi takereba, moto benkyo shiro! kurma de asonde bakari inai de!! :thwack:

rotfl

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
baka mon! nihongo o hanashi takereba, moto benkyo shiro! kurma de asonde bakari inai de!! :thwack:

rotfl
"osekkai yaro-!" -poke-

I like having fun with my car ;)

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
I've been thinking of trying one of their Spanish language offerings. I have been going to a church sponsored class but it isn't working well for me. Oddly enough everyone else in the class speaks at least one other language fluently (Italian, French, Russian, Gallic or Japanese).

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
I just re-installed Spanish (Latin America) 1, 2, and 3 on my computer. Now the trick is to actually use it...

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've been thinking of trying one of their Spanish language offerings. I have been going to a church sponsored class but it isn't working well for me. Oddly enough everyone else in the class speaks at least one other language fluently (Italian, French, Russian, Gallic or Japanese).

Yeah, I didn't have much luck with a class either

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
They may have a mind for languages. I had a Spanish teacher in college who told me that she and I would likely not get along since I was geared toward science (ie, left-brained). That is, until I aced her class. But I pick up on languages quite easily. I learned a good deal of Portuguese (more than enough to get around) in just a few days in Brazil just by watching Portuguese-subtitled American programming and listening to people speak it. Not having a choice kind of makes it that much easier. :)

I will tell you one thing, though, those in your class with a background in Italian or French have an advantage in that they are Romance languages just like Spanish; so, it will come easily to them - not unlike how Portuguese was easier for me to pick up due to my knowledge of Spanish.

Even when I was relatively fluent in Spanish (if you don't use it, you lose it), I found that many people who speak the language do not properly enunciate the words and use slang (not unlike English-speakers) and I had difficulty understanding them. Eventually, I just gave up trying to speak with them. However, I did (and still do) use it to my advantage when dealing with two or more people who speak Spanish to one another not knowing I do understand what they're saying. :evil:

Sorry for the momentary threadjack mopho. I, too, have been interested in checking out Rosetta Stone, which is why I checked this thread out.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I got kicked out of Spanish in High School :nanner2:

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Does it actually teach you grammar, or is it simply vocabulary reinforcement? It was my understanding that it was only the latter...

1 - 20 of 41 Posts